Water Mixed with Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just run my tap water through a basic charcoal filter to remove any chlorine/chloramine (I forget which one is bad) and go with that. I do the same with my yeast re-hydration water and have no issues.

Revvy, thanks. I am a newbie, brewed first kit today (Bavarian Hefe from Northern).

I am an old timer on a weight lifting forum and realize newbies' questions can be frustrating.

If tap tastes good, use tap.

Plain and simple. Some places have good tasting water and some do not. My city has had sanctions for its overworked water treatment plant that we outgrew years ago. Anytime I use tap water, it tastes and smells like pool water.
When in doubt, use RO water.

...or natural spring water. Not to be confused with well (ground) water. Spring water comes from pockets in the bedrock deep underground. It works good,is cheap,& has trace minerals that the yeast find to be a good thing. There's a few ways to go here,depending on how you're brewing. AG seems to need more accurate water profiles than extract or partial extract.

But the original question is about the sanitary nature of water, which if you read what I linked previously, you'll see that buying water is less of a gaurentee of sanitzation than using tap water. It's less governed....

Yeah,I remember. The (possible) weak link in the chain is the bottler of said water. But it's been fine so far. It just seems to me that governmental controls aren't always a good indicator of actual quality. They don't want people getting sick on their products if it can be helped.

But the original question is about the sanitary nature of water, which if you read what I linked previously, you'll see that buying water is less of a gaurentee of sanitzation than using tap water. It's less governed....

Thank you Rev. Not only does bottled water have to worry about the water, but also the vessel.
When using tap water, remove aerator and spray faucet with a sanitizer. When I grab distribution system bacteria samples, I don't want to check the facilities plumbing, but my water. If you have any leaking around where the faucet pivots, spray it down as well, or use a different site. A carbon filter is a nice way to remove chlorine. Inline filters also help reduce total organic carbons in the water.

Back