picnic tap vs. faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borealis

Reaction score
Is there an advantage to using real faucets over picnic taps? Right now I am getting good pours from my picnic taps. I have a temp controlled freezer that I keep everything in and just lift the lid and fill a pint from the picnic tap. My basement is not a finished area, so the kegerator is not something that needs to look cool or be a center piece, so I am having a hard time justifying the exspense of a collar and faucets, when I could use the money to buy more kegs and beer ingredients. Just making sure I'm not missing something about the difference between the two kinds of dispensing.
Thanks! :mug:

Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking. I think I'd rather have another keg in the freezer to round out my options than less options through cooler faucets. I would feel differently if I had a bar area in the basement, but it is pretty much storage with a homebrew workbench area and the freezer.

I snagged a faucet adapter for my cornies. I secondary in my kegs, so it makes sampling a lot easier. Well, it's easier when I don't forget to close the tap before locking it on. :mad:

I haven't tried it with a cold and carbed up beer but considering I'm getting a nice head on a warm uncarbed porter, I imagine close coupling like that will cause foam.

The other reason I wanted to try the faucet adapter is if I go to a less-than-civil gathering with a keg, I can just yank the ball lock and faucet off together and stick it in my pocket to prevent unauthorized sampling.

If you are happy with your current setup , then I would say just leave it be and use that money to go towards other things. Like buzzkill said, it will taste the same no matter how you dispense it.

I had 4 kegs in my keezer with a picnic tap on each for a few months after getting my keezer together. Pour was fine with a reasonable amount of head on the beer, no crazy foaming. Only issue I had was the taps drip a little after pouring and I don't like things sticky and messy.

Beer will taste the same from the picnic tap compared to a faucet. I just love the idea of pouring MY beer out of a nice Perlick tap. Took me a few months of using picnic taps and saving money to get to that point but I think it was well worth it.

Back