Adding more water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flucky07

Reaction score
I am making a bluberry wheat beer. I want it light instead of having a full body. I made 5.5 gallons. When i transfer to secondary can i add about 3 gallons of water to create 8.5 gallons of beer to *lighten* the beer up at secondary time?

Its for the misses btw

Eric:mug:

Flucky07 said:
I am making a bluberry wheat beer. I want it light instead of having a full body. I made 5.5 gallons. When i transfer to secondary can i add about 3 gallons of water to create 8.5 gallons of beer to *lighten* the beer up at secondary time?

Kindof an odd question...you'll be diluting everything: the malt flavor, the hops flavor (probably not a big component of this beer), the blueberry flavor, the ABV, the general beer character.

What was the OG of this beer? How much blueberry?

Unless this was a high OG beer with a huge amount of fruit, I can't imagine it being able to stand that level of dilusion.

cweston said:
Kindof an odd question...you'll be diluting everything: the malt flavor, the hops flavor (probably not a big component of this beer), the blueberry flavor, the ABV, the general beer character.

What was the OG of this beer? How much blueberry?

Unless this was a high OG beer with a huge amount of fruit, I can't imagine it being able to stand that level of dilusion.

I didnt take an OG of the beer...i am going to use 4oz of blueberry extract that i got from the LHBS at bottling time. And i also am going to use 1.5 lbs of blueberries in the secondary.?
I just dont want a full kick to it. Maybe around 4.4abv
I used extract as well...for ingrediance...

Do you suggest maybe an extra gallon to go up to 6.5 gallons then?

Eric

Flucky07 said:
I didnt take an OG of the beer...i am going to use 4oz of blueberry extract that i got from the LHBS at bottling time. And i also am going to use 1.5 lbs of blueberries in the secondary.?
I just dont want a full kick to it. Maybe around 4.4abv
I used extract as well...for ingrediance...

Do you suggest maybe an extra gallon to go up to 6.5 gallons then?

OK--how much extract was in the 5.5 gallon batch? We can calculate the OG how it will be effected by diluting from that.

What a lot of women and/or non beer geeks seem to mean by "lighter" is a beer with less bitterness and hops presence.* Chances are your blueberry wheat already qualifies.

(*That and maybe "lighter in color." I think a lot of marginal beer drinkers actually prefer darker, maliter beers once they set aside their preconceived notion that darker beers are only for super beer lovers.)

cweston said:
OK--how much extract was in the 5.5 gallon batch? We can calculate the OG how it will be effected by diluting from that.

What a lot of women and/or non beer geeks seem to mean by "lighter" is a beer with less bitterness and hops presence.* Chances are your blueberry wheat already qualifies.

(*That and maybe "lighter in color." I think a lot of marginal beer drinkers actually prefer darker, maliter beers once they set aside their preconceived notion that darker beers are only for super beer lovers.)

I dont recall what brand is was but it was a hefeweisen from germany. it came in a large red container. I believe it was 8lbs...

Back