I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got lazy last weekend and didn't feel up to handling my first huge beer and partigyle on my only free day with plenty of other projects to keep me busy.
Now this weekend is looking to be shot also, so may be next weekend, though I know my Saturday is all ready full.

I'm doing a full 5gal batch as I don't want the extra head room in the secondary. Plus this gives me the chance to try out a partigyle. I'm limited on my boil volume so I would have ended up leaving a ton of sugar in the MLT. Instead I borrowed a second turkey fryer and will be making a "small" beer with a couple additional runnings. Early predictions put the "small" beer in the mid 1.050s, so not really that small.

Craig

All my ingredients from Austin Homebrew Supply are scheduled to arrive today and everything looks like a go for a brewday tomorrow. Excited about my first "big" beer. I've decided to alter the recipe slightly to align it with my particular tastes. It will be interesting seeing what people think during the swap. And I know it's sort of recommended against but the only beer I have fermenting now is a stout and I'm going to pitch onto that yeast cake. So although I'm pitching a lighter beer onto a darker beer's cake, I don't expect it to affect the color too much, and the flavor perhaps only slightly.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Hanna should be right on top of me during the brewing tomorrow so that should be fun!

2nd EDIT: Hanna the tropical storm/hurricane. I can see how the last EDIT could be taken out of context!:)

So I'm sipping on my sample right now. Brewed 7/13, 2ndary on 08/01. Taste on 9/05...YUMMY! Started at 1.118, sitting at about 1.030 right now. Another month or so and I'll bottle this bad boy and put it away till we start shipping. I'm happy with what I've got so far.

I've been hemming and hawing for a while and finally committed to brewing this beast. I'm a big fan of barleywines! I received my 60qt brewpot today and also picked up some grains from the LHBS. I have a nice APA that is two weeks on the yeast cake, keeping the yeasties company before they are bombarded with a plethora of sugars.

Naturally, I have a couple questions regarding grain substitutions....

1) The LHBS doens't carry crystal 80, only crystal 90. Should I do a direct 1:1 swap for these? Or a little bit of 40 and some 90?

2) Will a combination of 90 and a small amount of roast work in place of special B?

3) No pale chocolate at the LHBS... Would a lesser amount of normal chocolate malt suffice?

Thanks for your help on this! This will definitely be the most complex and High Gravity beer I have brewed to date.... :rockin:

I've been hemming and hawing for a while and finally committed to brewing this beast. I'm a big fan of barleywines! I received my 60qt brewpot today and also picked up some grains from the LHBS. I have a nice APA that is two weeks on the yeast cake, keeping the yeasties company before they are bombarded with a plethora of sugars.

Naturally, I have a couple questions regarding grain substitutions....

1) The LHBS doens't carry crystal 80, only crystal 90. Should I do a direct 1:1 swap for these? Or a little bit of 40 and some 90?

2) Will a combination of 90 and a small amount of roast work in place of special B?

3) No pale chocolate at the LHBS... Would a lesser amount of normal chocolate malt suffice?

Thanks for your help on this! This will definitely be the most complex and High Gravity beer I have brewed to date.... :rockin:
A direct swap of crystal is fine and "yes" to all of your other ?'s.

Just pitched a nice big slurry into carboy of 1.102 OG Barleywine. My first big beer/Barleywine and my first partigyle. The small beer is REALLY small. I thought i would boil it down and get at least 1.040 but it is only 1.034. I may boil a gallon and a pound of DME and add it to the carboy. Anyone ever done this after pitching? If i dont...no biggie. It will be a 3.2% that is over hopped but should have good flavor.

Man, that was a long day. **** efficiency and not boiling down enough resulted in an OG of 1.097. whatever, it's still within style parameters. i'm not sure what caused the poor efficiency though. Has anyone had problems with the crush from AHS? I noticed it looked like there was a lot of untouched grains in the bag they sent but it was too late to do anything about it. also, with all the threads lately about them forgetting something in the order, I wonder if all my grains were actually in the bag. I guess I'll have them bag each grain separately from now on. Oh well, it will still be beer. Wort tasted sickeningly sweet. :)

BeerThirty and I are brewing our 999's right now.
downsized_0907080853-feed.jpg

olllllo and I are done with the 9-9-9BW. I had a lot of firsts in this batch. First time with these kettles and O2 injector, brewing somewhere other than home, tried fly sparging and no software with me. It seemed like my runnings were a bit light so I pulled and extra 1.5 gallons with the intent on longer boil. Actually came pretty close with an extra gallon left in the kettle. We both pulled second runnings and combined them to make a partigyle. It was hellish hot today, but the H.O.E. wort chiller preformed wonderfully and dropped all three batches to pitching temp(mid 60's) in a single pass. Here are a few pics.
DSCN2305.jpg

my rig
DSCN2311.jpg

olllllo preheating mash tun
DSCN2307.jpg

DM and I crushing a 30 lb grain bill
DSCN2306.jpg

olllllo's rig

My batch will sit for 6 weeks in the primary then will be transfered to secondary with oak.

Edit: not sure what happened with the sideways pics. I rotated them in photobucket and saved before posting here. I'll see what my limited skills can do about fixing this.

I brewed mine up yesterday as well. It certainly didn't go smooth... After some equipment issues and part failures (and a splitting headache from the night before), I finally got ~ 4.5 gallons in the primary on top of a 1056 yeast cake. It's bubbling away today.

Not my smoothest brewing endeavor. My efficiency sucked because I limited my boil to 90 minutes and didn't collect enough water to get all the sugars. There was a ton of trub, which caused me to leave a lot of wort in the boil kettle. I ended up with OG 1.104. A little lower than anticipated, but still a huge beer! I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

I hope mine makes it through fermentation. I woke up this morning to a six gallon bucket that looked like an eight. I quickly exchanged the sleep in my eyes for yeast as I switched to 1/2 in blow off hose. When I got home from work I had an eight gallon bucket again and switched to a 3/4 in blow off hose. This was the wrong batch to try and dial in new equipment, but at least it will be pressure fermented if the bucket doesn't split. BM I will keep you updated for record keeping. At this point I'm still greenlight go.

I am brewing this tomorrow come hell or high water. I had it planned to brew twice so far and something always prevented it. Tomorrow it will be in primary one way or another.

My 999 is finally in the carboy. Wasnt a very smooth brew day but I think it came out alright. Hit my mash temp perfectly. Ended up with 9.5 gallons in the boil kettle instead of the 8.3 I was aiming for. Made for an interesting boil considering my pot is only 10 gallons. Boiled it down to 7.5 gallons and started my hop schedule. Only had 5 gallons in the carboy but my OG was around 1.130. Had to guess because my hydrometer doenst read that high. Boiled 2qts and added to carboy to bring my volume into line and lower the OG. Ended up with an OG of 1.120. Pitched 2 packs of US 05 at 66 degrees.

Just took a reading 14 days in.

1.030...74% attenuation...11.2%.

Very sweet...good bitterness bite and....oh what an alcohol warmth. :D

Another 4-5 weeks in the primary should get me another 5 points or so.

Any adjustments you would make on the aroma BM? Will you dry hop this beer?
I was thinking about fiddling with some late hops. I really like the piney notes of Old Numbskull as a lead-in to the malt. Can't wait to brew this!

I'm doing 4.5 gallons of this in a corny (easiest thing to fit in my crappy fermentation freezer) I used fermcap and I have not had blowoff which is nice. I did this without the sugar and added the sugar in after fermentation had slowed (about 2 weeks) and it is still bubbling. The other nice thing about a cornie is when fermentation stops again I'm going to put the in post back on (that is where my airlock is currently) and shake it up to keep the yeast in suspension to really try and finish this big beer up. I used notty on this due to a mixup on what cornie I was draining into from the chiller (so my smaller beer is on the american ale yeast) oh well I think it will work just fine.

Any adjustments you would make on the aroma BM? Will you dry hop this beer?
I was thinking about fiddling with some late hops. I really like the piney notes of Old Numbskull as a lead-in to the malt. Can't wait to brew this!

I'll wait a good 3-4 months before I decide what (if any) adjustments to make to the finish/aroma.

Right now the alcohol warmth pretty much masks the finer aspects.

I'm even toying with the idea of splitting the batch and tossing in just a touch of oak chips for some complexity...we'll have to see.

I did this without the sugar and added the sugar in after fermentation had slowed (about 2 weeks) and it is still bubbling.

Good idea. Depending on my eff. I may not need the sugar. If I do I'll follow your lead since this thing is huge.

. I used notty on this due to a mixup on what cornie I was draining into from the chiller (so my smaller bere is on the american ale yeast) oh well I think it will work just fine.

I woulda used Notty if I could get it. Instead I'll be pitching 3 pkgs of US-05.

I'll wait a good 3-4 months before I decide what (if any) adjustments to make to the finish/aroma.

Right now the alcohol warmth pretty much masks the finer aspects.

I'm even toying with the idea of splitting the batch and tossing in just a touch of oak chips for some complexity...we'll have to see.

Ok thanks. I think I am going to brew 8 gallons and put some on oak too.

Did you follow the original recipe's mash directions? I mashed at 150 for 90 minutes in hopes of getting the FG down as far as I could. Was the sample cloyingly sweet or pleasantly sweet? I can't stand overly sweet beer.

A word of advice to those who have not brewed yet. If you are using a CFC or a plate chiller you may want to think twice about that.
My came out so thick that it plug the cfc twice. The first time was when I first opend the valve. I then had to unhook the cfc and blast O2 thru it to unplug it. It then pluged again with less the a gallon to go. At this point it was to low to get it to flow agian even if I did unplug it. So I used the water hose spraying on the bottom of the kettle until it was down to about 90* and then dumped it all into the carboy.
Just an FYI. :tank:

I just read the style guidelines for this beer, and it said to do a "lengthy" boil to enhance color. Is anyone else doing this? I could bump it up to a 75 minute boil, I know that would help out with my bittering hops, there a tad on the low side. Im doing this monster tomorrow morning and since were swapping, I want it to be perfect. I even tried washing yeast for the first time so I could pitch a nice huge slurry on this beast.:mug:

DSCN1688.jpg

Parti-gylers, help me out here.

My plan was to brew this beer using only first runnings. Using the following assumptions:
  • Target first runnings: 7 gallons at 1.090 gravity
  • Target OG 5.5 gallons at 1.119
  • 1.33 quarts per lb mash thickness
  • 0.8 quarts / lb absorption by the mash
I calculate I'd need 17 gallons of mash water and ~ 50 lb of grain in the mash. Obviously, this won't work in a converted Sanke mash tun. Are my numbers off, or am I going to have to suck it up and boil this beer down for several hours?

Back