American Wheat Beer Honey Balz Spring Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update, it certainly did become hef-ish. It tastes pretty good, but obviously not what I wanted. I will definitely be trying this one again in the spring, this time with us-05.

CrookedTail, I was looking for a new recipe to brew this weekend and ran across your Honey Balz recipe. This is an old post so hopefully you're still out there.

What do you think about using WB-06 instead of the US-05???

CrookedTail, I was looking for a new recipe to brew this weekend and ran across your Honey Balz recipe. This is an old post so hopefully you're still out there.

What do you think about using WB-06 instead of the US-05???

WB-06 is more of a hefe-weizen yeast strain. US-05 will keep it cleaner, and allow the malt and hops stand out more. I don't think it will turn out bad, just different.

I ended up using the WB-06. There wasn't any airlock activity so I'm going to check the gravity in a couple of days to see if anything's happening. If the gravity is where it should be I'll move it into the secondary for 2 weeks, then keg.

I can't wait to try it.

Just brewed up a variation of this for a competition. All late hops.

Fermentables
5lbs Wheat DME
.5lb Honey Malt
1lb Honey (added @ flameout)

Hops
1oz Amarillo (9 AAU) @ 10min
1oz Citra (14.1 AAU) @ 10min
1oz Amarillo (9 AAU) @ 5min
1oz Citra (14.1 AAU) @ 5min
1oz Amarillo Dry-Hop

US-05 yeast

OG: 1.052 IBU:46

Just moved this to secondary a few days ago. Tastes like an IPA. Very nice if you're a hop-head. A couple of weeks will allow the bitterness to mellow, and it should be very good.

Just tapped this version. It is FANTASTIC! The citrusy hops elevate this beer to a whole other level.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

CrookedTail
Your revised version sound tasty! My version with the WB-06 wasn't bad, but had too much of a peppery / clove after taste. I ended up putting an orange slice in the glass and that made a huge difference. I've got a Mossaic IPA finishing fermentation next week and plan on brewing your original recipe with the US-05. I'm anxious to compare to the Heffe yeast.

Just brewed up a variation of this for a competition. All late hops.

Fermentables
5lbs Wheat DME
.5lb Honey Malt

Hops
1oz Amarillo Dry-Hop

US-05 yeast

Just moved this to secondary a few days ago. Tastes like an IPA. Very nice if you're a hop-head. A couple of weeks will allow the bitterness to mellow, and it should be very good.

Citra and Amarillo are a match made in heaven! I have used the combo many a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Fermentables
5lbs Wheat DME
.5lb Honey Malt

Hops
1oz Amarillo Dry-Hop

US-05 yeast

Made this version month ago and just cracked first bottle. WOW! Soooo delicious!

Thanks alot for this recipe! :mug:

Hey CrookedTail, I like the looks of this recipe and I think I'm gonna try and make a 3 gallon batch, but I have some questions. I noticed that you didn't write down the temperatures for primary and secondary fermentation. And also, at what temperature do I add the first half of the extract and the first part of the Mt. Hood hops? In your recipe, it calls for wheat LME and I found some Briess Bavarian Wheat LME on Amazon, would that work? I also noticed that you also said to make a water and flour slurry if you want the beer to be more cloudy, I would like it to be more cloudy but I usually do both primary and secondary fermentation in the same carboy. Is the slurry even needed if you don't move to a second carboy for secondary fermentation, or would you recommend just transferring to a second carboy for this recipe?

Hey CrookedTail, I like the looks of this recipe and I think I'm gonna try and make a 3 gallon batch, but I have some questions. I noticed that you didn't write down the temperatures for primary and secondary fermentation. And also, at what temperature do I add the first half of the extract and the first part of the Mt. Hood hops? In your recipe, it calls for wheat LME and I found some Briess Bavarian Wheat LME on Amazon, would that work? I also noticed that you also said to make a water and flour slurry if you want the beer to be more cloudy, I would like it to be more cloudy but I usually do both primary and secondary fermentation in the same carboy. Is the slurry even needed if you don't move to a second carboy for secondary fermentation, or would you recommend just transferring to a second carboy for this recipe?

Wow there's a lot to answer here!

Ferment in the mid-60s. I don't have precise temperature control (yet), but I ferment in my basement, which stays fairly cool. US-05 is pretty forgiving so long as you stay under 72 degrees.

Any wheat-based malt extract will work. I use extract from Midwest Supplies, which I believe is repackaged Briess LME. If you want to use DME instead, go with 5 lbs.

I no longer use the slurry in this beer (I do use it in my hefeweizens though). If you don't fine the beer (Irish Moss, whirfloc, etc), the beer should be a little hazy.

Hope this helps. :)

Made this version month ago and just cracked first bottle. WOW! Soooo delicious!

Thanks alot for this recipe! :mug:

This is how I've been brewing it lately. Makes for a great summer brew.

I put this version in a local open style competition last year. It took second place. :)

Just ordered the stuff I need to make this and I have a couple of question. This will be my first time using any grain and I'm not sure what temp to steep the honey malt at and what gravity do you normally carb this too?

Just ordered the stuff I need to make this and I have a couple of question. This will be my first time using any grain and I'm not sure what temp to steep the honey malt at and what gravity do you normally carb this too?

I recently did a modified version and steeping you typically do 152-154 for 20-30 minutes.

Kegged this recently, using orig. recipe with the exception of type of honey, couldn't find Orange Blossom. Also, I did add a tbsp of orange zest. Needs another week of carbing and conditioning, but gave it a taste, liking it so far.

Back