2 empty CO2 tanks in2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeaven

Reaction score
Ok so I recently got a new Kegoco 2 tap kegerator. I've got one used 5 gallon keg from them and a brand new 3 gallon from northern brewer. Set everything up, kegged beer, set pressure to 15psi. Next morning, CO2 is empty. Weird part is, neither keg has any pressure once I open pressure relief valve. I thought the issue was a faulty pressure relief valve on the used keg. Got it replaced and CO2 refilled. Set pressure again. Everything seemed to seal nicely. Didn't hear any gas escaping. Next morning checked, CO2 level dropped slightly but kegs were still pressurized. One day later, this evening, CO2 empty and no pressure in either keg.

Now obviously I have a leak. All my O rings look good. I tightened all the posts with a wrench(not as tight as they could have been). I'm just perplexed because neither keg had any pressure...wasn't expecting that if there was a leak in one keg. I'm getting the CO2 filled tomorrow morning and will be putting starsan on all possible areas to find the leak.

In the mean time, any hints on where my link could be? Any tips that people have from experience? Thanks a lot guys! I just want my kegged beer already!

You need to find the leak through systematic troubleshooting.

Get a spray bottle and mix up some soap water solution. Wet down all of your gas lines, connections, keg posts, lids, and fittings.

Any leaks will give a tell-tale stream of bubbles. At the rate you are going through CO2, it sounds like 1 or more leaks.

If you find one leak, don't stop looking. There may be more than one.

Don't forget to spray down regulators, valves and CO2 tanks as well.

It's gotta be a leak. I had a leaky inlet due to bad print. It looked good but it leaked. Try to replace all orients. They're much cheaper than refilling co2. Also don't just go by sound as to whether it's leaking or not. Try filling up a spray bottle with sanitizer and spraying all you're fittings. A very small leak can be hard to hear. I would start with that and go from there.

Yeah, ill be trying the spray and bubble method. The posts were only hand tight so it may be there. I have what appear to be extra nylon washers. The directions I got from Kegco were crap. Any tips on where they should go?

I tightened all fittings tonight with a wrench. Do you guys think it's safe to say I have at least 1 leak in each keg since both were not under pressure once CO2 ran out? This is just frustrating and I know it's cause I rushed. I'm so patient during brewing and fermentation...guess I have to be patient now while kegging.

Ok so I recently got a new Kegoco 2 tap kegerator. I've got one used 5 gallon keg from them and a brand new 3 gallon from northern brewer. Set everything up, kegged beer, set pressure to 15psi. Next morning, CO2 is empty. Weird part is, neither keg has any pressure once I open pressure relief valve. I thought the issue was a faulty pressure relief valve on the used keg. Got it replaced and CO2 refilled. Set pressure again. Everything seemed to seal nicely. Didn't hear any gas escaping. Next morning checked, CO2 level dropped slightly but kegs were still pressurized. One day later, this evening, CO2 empty and no pressure in either keg.

Now obviously I have a leak. All my O rings look good. I tightened all the posts with a wrench(not as tight as they could have been). I'm just perplexed because neither keg had any pressure...wasn't expecting that if there was a leak in one keg. I'm getting the CO2 filled tomorrow morning and will be putting starsan on all possible areas to find the leak.

In the mean time, any hints on where my link could be? Any tips that people have from experience? Thanks a lot guys! I just want my kegged beer already!

Start with the connection to the co2 tank and work your way out form there. A flat washer should come with each co2 tank when you get it filled that seats the co2 tank to the valve assembly. If you don't have one that would be a problem. Star san or mild soap solution all connections. Use clamps on any connection to ensure a tight seal. My last leak was due to an unclamped connection that appeared tight.

I'm running co2 and nitrogen, 2 primary valves, 6 secondary valves, 6 kegs and 6 taps so there was a lot of checking for leaks.

So I refilled my co2 tank, made sure everything was tightened with a wrench and hooked up the gas. Sprayed everything connection down with star San and saw no bubbles. Hopefully with tightening the posts(which were just hand tight before) solves this issue. Will be checking the regulator tonight and see if the tank pressure went down an unnatural amount.

Related question, with just setting the pressure(no force carbing) how long does it normally take a 5 gallon keg take to get up to proper pressure

So I refilled my co2 tank, made sure everything was tightened with a wrench and hooked up the gas. Sprayed everything connection down with star San and saw no bubbles. Hopefully with tightening the posts(which were just hand tight before) solves this issue. Will be checking the regulator tonight and see if the tank pressure went down an unnatural amount.

Related question, with just setting the pressure(no force carbing) how long does it normally take a 5 gallon keg take to get up to proper pressure

If you set and forget about two weeks to carbonate.

Ok so now I'm confused. A week ago I refilled the co2, tightened everything down, sprayed all connections with star San and saw no bubbles. Haven't been home in a week so just checked it. CO2 is empty and no pressure in my kegs.

If both kegs don't have pressure does that mean I have a leak with each keg or could it be one leak? I'm at my wits end with this.

Would pictures of each fitting be helpful. The directions that came with my kegco are crap but I've tried reading up online a lot

My new plan is to get the co2 filled and attach the regulator and open the co2 but leave the valves on the gas lines closed to see if it's my regulator/co2 connection or the leak is further down

Once I had a leak in my system that I couldn't seem to locate.

It turned out I had a bad regulator. I was able to get a rebuild kit and that corrected the problem.

Leaking regulators can be difficult to find using star-san or soap solution.

To find the leak, I hooked up just the regulator to my bottle and plugged the low pressure outlet port.

I cracked the tank valve and set gauges to 15 psi. Then I closed the tank valve and waited.

A good regulator will hold pressure on the gauges with plugged outlet.

I had the same issue with my kegs. Come to find out that something inside my regulator was leaking. I took off all the gauges and re taped all threads and put it all back together and it is now holding pressure great. So look into rebuilding your regulator.

bren2426 said:
I had the same issue with my kegs. Come to find out that something inside my regulator was leaking. I took off all the gauges and re taped all threads and put it all back together and it is now holding pressure great. So look into rebuilding your regulator.

If that's the case I'm calling kegco as this is a brand new regulator that came with my kegerator. Maybe I'll call tomorrow and have them send me a new one just to be safe

If that's the case I'm calling kegco as this is a brand new regulator that came with my kegerator. Maybe I'll call tomorrow and have them send me a new one just to be safe

You may want to try the regulator test I suggested earlier before calling them.

You should confirm that the regulator is leaking before just randomly replacing parts.

processhead said:
You may want to try the regulator test I suggested earlier before calling them. You should confirm that the regulator is leaking before just randomly replacing parts.

By low pressure outlet port do you meant the gas lines aka just turn the valves to the "off" position so no gas runs out?

By low pressure outlet port do you meant the gas lines aka just turn the valves to the "off" position so no gas runs out?

That would work if you know for a fact that the valve doesn't leak when it's closed.

Ideally you would disconnect the valve from the regulator and plug the opening in the regulator with a 1/4" threaded plug.

That way you rule out any issues with possibility of the valve leaking.

processhead said:
That would work if you know for a fact that the valve doesn't leak when it's closed. Ideally you would disconnect the valve from the regulator and plug the opening in the regulator with a 1/4" threaded plug. That way you rule out any issues with possibility of the valve leaking.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the tip. If that holds, I'll replace the valve and take it one connection at a time

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a missing flat washer between the regulator and the gas bottle. It was mentioned in an earlier thread but it's a great place to start your systematic check one connection at a time.

I'm paranoid so I tend to use teflon tape on the threads of my tank where the regulator screws on. I figure it can't hurt and may likely help.

I'm paranoid so I tend to use teflon tape on the threads of my tank where the regulator screws on. I figure it can't hurt and may likely help.
TMK:

The gasket provides the sealing function at that connection as they are not pipe or flare threads.

Teflon tape should only be used on pipe threads. Pipe threads are cut such that they become shallower moving away from the pipe end. The threads actually seal themselves as they are tightened. The teflon tape acts as a thread lubricant so that the connection can be tightened without any gauling. It's really not meant to be a sealant.

TMK:

Teflon tape should only be used on pipe threads. Pipe threads are cut such that they become shallower moving away from the pipe end. The threads actually seal themselves as they are tightened. The teflon tape acts as a thread lubricant so that the connection can be tightened without any gauling. It's really not meant to be a sealant.

Well, then why do they tell you to use it on your shower heads and things like that? Besides... what can it hurt to use teflon tape?

Well, then why do they tell you to use it on your shower heads and things like that? Besides... what can it hurt to use teflon tape?

Shower heads use pipe threads, which is why you have to use the PTFE tape.

The tape can prevent a flare-type or other fitting from being tightened all the way, and hence can prevent it from sealing properly.

I've posted this diagram before, in this thread where we had a pretty good discussion about such things.

In a tapered pipe thread like NPT, the threads themselves seal:
npt-end-fitting.jpg

In a CGA 320 fitting on a CO2 tank, the washer or integrated o-ring provides the seal and thus the threads are straight:
tn_CGA320_gif.jpg

Anything that prevents the fitting from being fully tightened, such as thread tape, can prevent proper compression of the washer or o-ring and cause a leak.

I have a hard plastic type washer on the fitting that connects the regulator and the co2 tank so I don't think that's the issue

Ok so I finally got my tank refilled. Connected it but didn't hook it up to any tanks. Set it to 15 psi and shut the tank off. 4 days letter I checked the regulator and it had dropped 10psi to 5 psi. So it appears the regulator and/or the valves that block the c02 going from entering the tanks is not air tight.

But a 10psi doesn't seem like it would empty a 5lb tank in a day. Does this drop seem normal?

So your saying you hooked the co2 tank to the regulator with the valve on the regulator closed and the pressure dropped form 10 to 5 psi. I tried that when I got my regulator and it was holding pressure for weeks. It sounds like a slow regulator leak. Have you tried a new tank gasket? I think I'd ask for a new regulator. To be safe you should continue to check the rest of system for leaks, when you get the regulator sorted.

I had a leak on the underside of the regulator in the etching. I lost 2.5 tanks until a friend found it. It took almost 2 years for the leak to develop and keg connection replaced the regulator body at no cost.

Sheldon

deadfall said:
So your saying you hooked the co2 tank to the regulator with the valve on the regulator closed and the pressure dropped form 10 to 5 psi. I tried that when I got my regulator and it was holding pressure for weeks. It sounds like a slow regulator leak. Have you tried a new tank gasket? I think I'd ask for a new regulator. To be safe you should continue to check the rest of system for leaks, when you get the regulator sorted.

Well then...it appears there is a problem with the regulator. I'll get in contact with Kegco and have them replace. Once it gets replaced, I'll run the same test and then continue to check for leaks. Thanks guys!

Contacted the place where I got my kegerator and all kegging equipment(beverage factory). They are sending a new regulator no questions asked.

In the mean time, I have a spare regulator which is brand new(don't ask) I'm going to hook that up tonight and pressure test it and see if it holds.

Contacted the place where I got my kegerator and all kegging equipment(beverage factory). They are sending a new regulator no questions asked.

In the mean time, I have a spare regulator which is brand new(don't ask) I'm going to hook that up tonight and pressure test it and see if it holds.

I'm almost inclined to ask... Lol

Mentioned this before, but a regulator leak can be difficult to find because of how they are constructed.

Sometimes its just a process of elimination.

IMO, the best way isolate a regulator leak is to remove lines and install a 1/4" threaded plug on the outlet.

Then install it on the tank, pressurize, then close the tank valve.

If the gauges on the regulator don't hold primary or secondary pressure over time, you can be pretty confident that the regulator is where your leak is.

Occasionally a leak will form where a fitting threads into a regulator, but those are usually easy to find with some star-san solution in a spray bottle.

Back