IPL (India Pale Lager)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior

Reaction score
I was inspired by a Sam Adams IPL I just had last week. Shop is great for Lager ferments right now. Adapted my Czech Pils recipe by changing the grain a little and added all IPA style hops. Nugget, Cascade, Amarillo and Citra are what I used. Racked on a Czech Pils yeast slurry that had just finished up. Already fermenting after only 3 hours.

I brewed an IPL very recently (about to keg it) when I acquired some ECY22 Baltic Lager.

I went all out with a themed beer: CCCCP 7.2% Red IPL (16 SRM) bittered with Chinook, had Columbus and Palisade for middle addition and a heap of Cascade and Centennial in the whirlpool. Dry hopped with equal parts of each hop again. Smells friggin awesome, I can't wait to drink this sucker.

See if you can get your hands of Jack's Abbey Hoponious Union. They really are revolutionizing lagers here in Mass and I consider them the cream of the crop. Their IPL is the one you compare all others too. Though I was really impressed with Sam's.

Calichusetts said:
See if you can get your hands of Jack's Abbey Hoponious Union. They really are revolutionizing lagers here in Mass and I consider them the cream of the crop. Their IPL is the one you compare all others too. Though I was really impressed with Sam's.

+1 on Jack's Abbey.
I had a few when I was working in Framingham and it was great. Next time I'm around on a weekend, I'm gonna go visit the brewery.

+1 to Jack's Abby. I live in central MA and I have had the pleasure of trying most of their brews. I haven't found a mediocre one yet. They try to source locally whenever possible as well. Hoponius Union is one of my favorite beers of all time. Clean and crisp with perfect hop presence.

I must say I'm really enjoying this IPL! The clean crisp lager allows the hop flavors and the malty finish to shine through. The lack of the fruity characteristics of a warm ale yeast ferment lets the flavors of the hops and malt come to the forefront of the beer. Will definately brew this beer a lot more!

Warrior said:
I must say I'm really enjoying this IPL! The clean crisp lager allows the hop flavors and the malty finish to shine through. The lack of the fruity characteristics of a warm ale yeast ferment lets the flavors of the hops and malt come to the forefront of the beer. Will definately brew this beer a lot more!

Can you share your recipe? Please :)

Very interested in the recipe as well. Tried an IPL this week brewed by Widmer, "Hopside down". Server at the tasting I attended said it was brewed with a lager yeast at typical ale fermentation temps.
Beer was great. Awesome hop forward character with a super crisp body.
Love to see your recipe as well as hear any thoughts from anyone out there on brewing a beer like this.

Warrior - want to post your recipe? Did you use 2-row or Pilsner malt and what yeast strain?

I've adapted this recipe from a 24 gallon batch to what should be about a 5.5 gal batch.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP 802
Yeast Starter: 1/2 gal
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.013
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 50F
Additional Fermentation: lager 4 weeks @ 38F in keg

My well water is filtered through a 5 micron and then the brewing water uses a .5 micron filter. The ph of my water is 6.2 and I do not adjust the ph.

8.25# Best Pils malt
.75 # Best Dark Munich malt
.75 # Best Aromatic malt

Mash in 4.0 gals of water for a 60 min rest @154 deg
Mashout 10 mins @170 deg
Sparge 3.75 gals @170 deg

90 minute boil,
.4 Nugget pel 12.6% @ 60min
.25 Nugget pel 12.6% @ 30min
.25 Amarillo pel 10.1% @ 30min
.25 Citra leaf 14.8% @ 30min
.12 Nugget pel @10 mins
.25 Amarillo pel @10 mins
.25 Citra Leaf @10 mins
.25 Amarillo pel @2 mins
.25 Citra Leaf @2 mins

Irish Moss the last 15 mins

Brewing a Helles tomorrow. This brew is on my schedule for probably between Christmas and New Years.

Very interested in the recipe as well. Tried an IPL this week brewed by Widmer, "Hopside down". Server at the tasting I attended said it was brewed with a lager yeast at typical ale fermentation temps.
Beer was great. Awesome hop forward character with a super crisp body.
Love to see your recipe as well as hear any thoughts from anyone out there on brewing a beer like this.

Have your tried Downward Spiral? It's basically an imperial hopside down aged on oak spirals.

Back