Brewers Best vienna lager as an ale ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish620

Reaction score
Hey guys, only my 3rd batch and probably shouldn't of picked this lager since I don't have the proper setup, but too late now.
I went ahead and bought white labs German yeast wlp830 for the recipe. What temperature for pitching the liquid yeast and what
Temperature for fermentation ? My basement is at about 57F. I'm ok with it as an ale just want to know the best way to go about it.

Thanks gentlemen !

It will ferment at 57. You probably will get some yeast flavors, something like a steam beer. You couldn't properly lager afterwards.

Or you could buy ale yeast (Nottingham perhaps) and make it as an ale. Notty can actually work in he high 50s.

Im brewing tonight, should I pitch at 70F and try and ferment around 65-72F and treat it like an ale or colder is better with this yeast strain for pitching and fermenting even though I'm not lagering ?

With the lager yeast, I think the lower temps would be better (if it is not too late).

lager yeast at ale temps = not good (unless it's steam beer yeast). fermenting that german lager yeast at 65-72 would be like fermenting an ale yeast at 80-90. it will make for lots of flavor but not the kind you might expect.

Check the yeast manufacturer's published data for proper fermentation temps. In general Lager yeasts are fermented low because at ale temps because they throw unpleasant tastes. FYI, I did a 10 gallon batch this summer. Split it into 2 5 gallon fementers. pitched an ale yeast to one and chucked it into the spare shower with no temp control. The other I pitched a lager yeast and placed it in the ferm chamber witrh proper temps. They came out virtually identical.

Back