FoodSaver FreshSaver Handheld Vacuum Sealing System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use it all the time for exactly that purpose. it wont vacuum regular hop bags (but you dont really need to), but it seals them.

what do u mean regular hop bags? You mean the original packaging? I wouldn't expect it to because you need to use the "FreshSaver" bags. Thanks for reply though glad to see it works for storing hops!

I've used a foodsaver vacuum sealer, they work pretty good. Never tried this unit though.

I have one, but find the bags don't hold a seal in the freezer ... The plastic tab on the seal falls off ... I think the cold temps make the glue on the tab brittle. The regular heat-sealed Foodsaver bags, however, work perfectly.

I picked one up last year for $3 and I would say that its not worth the money. The bags do not hold a seal in the freezer and end up with more air than a standard ziplock.

Pick up a heat sealed one on ebay and you will not regret it.

I have the counter top version. http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/FoodSaver-Vacuum-Sealer/16652298 I've had it for years and it works pretty well. Care must be taken to get the end you're sealing flat and far enough into the machine. And if in doubt heat seal it again. For the $70 or 80 I spent on it 8yrs ago, I think it has more than paid for itself.

Now you gotta use the food saver bags as they have a textured insert inside that allow the vacuum to be drawn. Otherwise reg bags wont vacuum seal. Never thought about sealing hops. Will have to give it a try sometime

Had one with the same experience as most; the bags didn't hold vacuum in the freezer.

Get a real vacuum sealer that heats the sealed connection. Not uncommon to find these at your local Goodwill stores otherwise deals pop up now and then.

Back