Old Glory American Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing my 4th BIAB of my own design. An American Stout I'm calling "Old Glory" It's a 1/5 gallon brew.

What do you think?

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 70.6 %
6.4 oz Roasted Barley Grain 2 9.4 %
4.8 oz Barley, Flaked Grain 3 7.1 %
4.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 4 7.1 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt Grain 5 5.9 %

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 1 33.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min Hop 2 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Brewed today. Took about 4 hours on my little 1500w hot plate. I had trouble w/the mash in and mash out temps. Couldn't quite stabilize the mash in average for the hour was about 153* Mash out was only about 160*.

But on the bright side. Brew House Eff was 69% OG is 1.072.

Pitched the 05 yeast at 75*. took about 1/2 hr to bring down to pitching temp.

It's in the refer now cooling down to about 65. Before adding hops the taste was malty. Now it's strongly hoppy, but there is a lot of hop trub floating around. It should taste a lot different in two months when I crack the first bottle.

Two days later, ya I know I'm pushing things, but I saw no bubbles and no sign of krausin in the bucket. So I opened it and it smelled more like beer than wort. Took a SG sample and it's down to 1.030, which puts the ABV to 5.5 or so. The sample tastes pretty good at 68*, the bitter hoppy taste is gone as the hops have pretty much settled, and the malt is coming out. Gonna be good stuff. No more samples for 2.5 weeks, can't afford to waste samples as it's was only a 1.5 gal. batch. BTW I'm drinking the sample, Hmmmm :mug:

BTW I'm drinking the sample, Hmmmm :mug:
I consider it a "must-do" anytime I sample the beer, whether it be the first sample before pitching yeast for OG or any down the line. The only exception is the pre-boil sample since it can be chucked back into the pot. Drinking the whole sample gives a good idea of the character of the beer and its development that just a sip from it couldn't.

Plus, as you pointed out, with your sample you're at 5.5ABV at that point, and why let any alcohol go to waste...

I consider it a "must-do" anytime I sample the beer, whether it be the first sample before pitching yeast for OG or any down the line. The only exception is the pre-boil sample since it can be chucked back into the pot. Drinking the whole sample gives a good idea of the character of the beer and its development that just a sip from it couldn't.

Plus, as you pointed out, with your sample you're at 5.5ABV at that point, and why let any alcohol go to waste...

Oh, yea! I just opened a bottle of Dutches (sp) Obsidian Stout. Yummy. Hope mine tastes as good. I should beat it's ABV by at least 1%.

SailorTodd. Were/Are you navy? I put in 4 years '62-66. Got shipped to Hawai`i and never left.

Well that batch go an infection. Had to toss it all out. Hope my plants liked it.

Brewed it again today. All went well, Brew House Eff went up to 74. I took pictures up to the last step, (cooling and yeasting). This time I used a Kooler for the BIAB mash stage. I heated it w/tap water at 140*, put in 3 gal. while I brought up 2 gallons to 160* in me kettle.

I swapped out the water in the kooler for the 160*s and then added the grain slowly and mixed. Lost 4* right off the bat adding the grain. Cooler lost heat like this over the hour, (15 min = 152*)(30 min = 150*)(45 min = 149*)(60 min = 148*). I guess next brew I start w/maybe 165* and perhaps some hotter water to warm the cooler.

OG came out at 1.072 w/1.25 gallons going into the fermenter.

Pictures follow.
1-My 3 gallon kettle and 1500 watt hot plate.
2-My 5 gallon cooler.
3-Adding the heated 160* water to cooler.

01BrewingKettle.jpg

02FiveGalKooler.jpg

03Pouring 160 waterIntoKooler.jpg

For some reason I always forget to take pictures of the cooling down and pitching the yeast. Placed kettlin in the sink covered w/water and 3 half gallon jugs of ice. Watched a movie and poured the wort into the fermenting bucket. 1 1/2 hours later pitched the yeast into 74* wort and sealed it. Into my fermenting fridg for the next 4 weeks.

Cracked the first one today after only a few hours in the fridge. Hmm good, feels "thick", malty, kind of coffee/chocolate in there. This is worth making a 4 gallon batch.

Great set up! I'm trying to move onto BIAB for 3 gallon batches. Still researching the method but your 1.5 gal brew is inspiring.

Great set up! I'm trying to move onto BIAB for 3 gallon batches. Still researching the method but your 1.5 gal brew is inspiring.

I've made adjustments over the time since I posted this. Now I'm doing 1.9 gallons in the same setup and getting 3 six packs pretty much all of the time.

Back