Can anyone recommend a good style for Easter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RallyFanatic

Reaction score
My wife and I have @ 30 people over for Easter, and I wanted a little variety in beer selection. I have an IPA that's almost done fermenting, but I'm not sure an IPA with Easter dinner (ham, lamb, lasagna and the veggies) is the best combination for everyone. Any recommendations for a good light style, low hop beer to brew?

Hefe? But you may need to take into account a month in primary/secondary plus, unless you keg, 30 days imo to bottle condition.

Bock is a traditional easter beer, but doesn't fit your "light style" requirement.

I'd say a Belgian Wit would be great with just a bit of exotic holiday flair. Zest an orange (or lemon) into the boil at flamout for a nice touch of flavor.

Ferment some easter eggs and serve that.

I would say a wit would be good or a pilsner. Perhaps a pale ale if you don't have time for a pilsner.

Pale ale, definitely. With a slight citrus flavoring...very springy.

And where's MY invite to Easter dinner? :D

You could go for a maibock, that's a little lighter, but a good spring style. You're pushing it on time though for that one.

RallyFanatic said:
My wife and I have @ 30 people over for Easter, and I wanted a little variety in beer selection. I have an IPA that's almost done fermenting, but I'm not sure an IPA with Easter dinner (ham, lamb, lasagna and the veggies) is the best combination for everyone. Any recommendations for a good light style, low hop beer to brew?

Might want to have a look for Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde recipe. I've done that one a couple times, it's ready fast, fairly light but with some good flavor.

You could easily get away with a blonde, cream ale, kolsch, mild, or brown ale as a light, low-hopped beer that could easily be done in time with proper pitching and fermentation temps that will appeal to a wide audience.

If you are bringing over non-craft beer drinkers, I wouldn't recommend a pale ale -- still too hoppy -- or a hefe -- people may find banana/clove is weird in a beer.

Might want to have a look for Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde recipe. I've done that one a couple times, it's ready fast, fairly light but with some good flavor.

Not only do I like the recipe, but in my reserves I have a pound of extra light DME (for the extract version) and an 1 oz of both centennial and cascade which will cut down the shopping bill. Only thing better than a good beer is a good cheap beer! Thanks for the idea.

Back