2 expired Coopers Bitters cans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrostyBeverage

Reaction score
SO I have 2 expired Coopers bitters kits. Looking for ideas to brew them this week. Does not have to be an ESB recipe... just lookin for some ideas of what to make with them. Ales only!

jfro

SO I have 2 expired Coopers bitters kits. Looking for ideas to brew them this week. Does not have to be an ESB recipe... just lookin for some ideas of what to make with them. Ales only!

jfro

If they are expired I wouldn't brew anything with them. Old LME is the main cause for "extract twang" in beers so I would stick with the freshest you can find to avoid off flavors...

Can try it, if there is a twang, just drink them after you've got a buzz going from some better beer. Thats if you feel like getting that far away from being sober though....

If they are recently expired, then you could use them as the basis for a Pale. Just add some flavor/aroma hops. If they have darkened, then a stout is the way to go. I've never figured out what the "extract twang" is all about.

Zymurgy magazine had an article a few months ago about brewing with old LME/DME. The author suggested using the old extract in a partial mash recipe. Supposedly the mashed grain will provide nutrients (FAN) that may have degraded in the extract, eliminating the "extract twang". He claimed that his recipe with old LME had no detectable off flavors.

Coopers kits are no-boil, keep that in mind if using them as a basis for an extract/boil brew. The extract you have is already "partially-baked" so to speak.

Assuming they are not ancient, I'd just use some fresh quality dry yeast and make them as the kits were intended. Every time I tinkered with a Coopers kit it never tasted all that good.

I've brewed a few that were a few months old. Used new yeast, and they tasted fine to me.

jfro

What's the expiration date? Just add a 2 pounds of dme and 2 oz of flavor/aroma hops to each batch.

Here is something that has worked with these can kits in the past.
2.75# Marris Otter
0.50# Crystal 40
1.00# Light DME
0.5oz Liberty or Kent Golding (last 10 minute of boil)
1 can Coopers in last 5minutes of boil
US-04
Mini Mash the grains @ 151* for 60 minutes

Back