Sourcing Concentrates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kouphax

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could offer me advice? I've been looking through the posts here for different wines, meads and ciders and a lot of them suggest using concentrated fruit juices. I've looked and can't find anything other than grape concentrate. I live in Ireland and was wondering where I could get my hands on fruit juice concentrate other than grape? Or at least get an alternative?

Thanks in advance.

James.

Take a look thru Orfy's posts. I believe he found some where he lives and it may give you a clue to where you may find it in your location.

Where in Ireland are you? I have family in Cork and I'm hoping to visit there again next year.

Hopfan said:
Take a look thru Orfy's posts. I believe he found some where he lives and it may give you a clue to where you may find it in your location.

Where in Ireland are you? I have family in Cork and I'm hoping to visit there again next year.

I'll have a look through those posts now thanks for the advice.

Am I right in assuming that another name for concentrate would be cordial? Assuming that the cordial is organic and doesn't contain preservatives can it be used? Someone somewhere mentioned you could use Ribena (I am a bit dubious about that though as as far as I know it will contain preservatives - maybe)?

I am living in Dublin. Originally from Belfast but relocated when my company asked me if i'd consider it. Plans to head back in the next few years are on the go. It's just far to expensive to live in Dublin.

Thanks again.

James.

A man from Belfast was visitining New York and was waiting on the corner to cross the street. He accidentally bumped into a man and promptly apologized. Since apologies are few & far between in NY, the man knew he was obviously from out of town. He asked where he was from and the man replies "Oh, I come from Belfast in Ireland" Belfast!, that must be terrible to live there? We are always hearing about the violence, bombings & shootings there. It almost makes NY seem tame. "Oh, it's not as bad as all that. I get up every day and go to work just like you would" Oh that's good to hear. By the way what do you do? "I'm a tailgunner on a bread truck"

Not sure if it was my pathetic attempts at an Irish accent or the fact that they liked the joke, but I got loads of free beer one night for that one.

As far as the cordial, I couldn't help you there. I know what it means over here, but remember that we are 2 countries separated by a common language.

kouphax said:
Am I right in assuming that another name for concentrate would be cordial? Assuming that the cordial is organic and doesn't contain preservatives can it be used? Someone somewhere mentioned you could use Ribena (I am a bit dubious about that though as as far as I know it will contain preservatives - maybe)?
The 'concentrates' (often frozen) that our US Friends use here aren't really available in the UK (and I assume Eire is the same).
Homebrew Shops carry some concentrates (elderflower/cherry/white grape etc) but usually as part of kits (which are often expensive as you may not want to use the packet of random yeast, finings etc that come with them that prop up the price).
As far as 'cordials' go you can use Ribena - I know people who have in the past (NEAT - no water and IIRC with a little sugar to increase the SG) but they reported that the 'blackcurrant' notes disappear and it leads to a wine with little 'body'.

Thanks guys. I had a feeling we where dealing with 2 different things in terms of cordial/concentrate. Some shops do tend to supply concentrate (usually not frozen) but it tends to be extremely pricey stuff.

Not to worry, thanks for all the help.

James.

James

If you use a concentrate then you'd normally add water to get to volume and sugar to get to the required SG to give the end ABV you want. It's probably the same price as none concentrate when you consider the end volumes.

If you look at carton Juice you'll see that the expensive stuff is 100% natural fruit juice. the Cheaper stuff is made from concentrate. So it is just the same as buying concentrate and adding water.

Liddl is a superb source of fruit juices.

Make sure that there is nothing in it apart from 100% fruit concentrate and water. they'll normally just say 100% from concentrate juice.

If you want a go at the easiest quickest to make and drink brew then go for

4 Supermarket 1L Apple Juice, 200 sugar. Pitch yeast, wait a few days unitl foam stops. Top up feremnter with more apple juice. Leave 10 days. Rack to secondary, wait ten days.

It's then done. you can prime and bottle adding a little lactose if sweetness is required.

I just drink it flat like a scrumpy/wine.

The wife likes it 70 cider, 30 Lemonade and a splash of simple syrup.

Orfy,

Thanks a million for the feedback. It wasn't specifically apple I was after - it was more a general question. I had thought of lidl myself but nowhere near one at the minute. I'll bear that in mind.

James.

Latest posts

Back