brass ball valve cancer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Someone welded a keggle for me. The brass ball valve can unscrew off. There is a tag on the lever that says, "This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Should I be worried at boiling temperatures?

There's a tiny amount of lead in brass, that's probably what that tag is all about.

Read the How to Brew link above to learn how to remove the surface lead from your brass. I've done it. It's fine. Even if you don't bother, it's probably still fine. (But it's *really* easy to remove the surface lead, so go ahead and do it.)

There is a trace amount of lead in a lot of things that end up getting into your body.

Yeah, true... Well, be watchful of course, but what I'm saying is that just about nothing is perfectly free of stuff that can harm you in large doses.

Just rinse the valve with an acid wash, vinegar, star-san etc. It will be fine unless you decided to suddenly start eating brass valves.

Just rinse the valve with an acid wash, vinegar, star-san etc. It will be fine unless you decided to suddenly start eating brass valves.

+1 The amounts of lead that might be in the brass have to actually get into your body. They can't migrate there through magic. I cast my own bullets for reloading for 20 years; a lot of this was in a basically poorly ventilated space. After I quit casting, I was motivated to have a test for lead levels. Guess what? Background levels, no more than might be expected in the general population.
A lot of the stuff floating around about chemicals and radiation is just the purest superstition and speculation, and the Internet just makes this grow worse, and exponentially*. You will get more radiation flying in a jet from NY -> LA than you will from working a lifetime in a nuclear power plant. (In the plane, you're flying above most of the Earth's atmosphere, and thus are exposed to a lot of radiation from space, whereas the reactor is quite well shielded.)

*Note: According to comedian Lewis Black, "Halftime at the Super Bowl is the best because halftime at the Super Bowl has gotten exponentially worse every year. I use the word 'exponentially' because I was taught it in math class and that was the first sentence I could use it in. 'Exponentially worse' means crappier and crappier and crappier."

If you're like me and live in the DC area, you probably get 1000x more lead from your tap water than you would through that ball valve over the course of your life.

Back