Stockpot Sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azkid

Reaction score
I know it's probably been answered here already, but what is the smallest size of pot that you would recommend for a partial boil? There seems to be a significant price jump in pots from the 14/16 quart size to the 20 quart size I see recommend most often.

Is 16 quarts enough to do a partial boil, or is 20 quarts pretty much required to avoid potential boil over?

I used a 16q pot and watched it carefully. You can find larger pots for $20 though at walmart. Just watch out for the hot breaks and be ready to lift it off the burner a few times.

In fact I use two 16q pots for "full boils" when it's -15F in the garage and I can't use a REAL full boil.

Look for cheap stock or canning pots. I find these are often cheaper than the smaller ones because they are made of thinner material. I have often seen stainless steel 20qt stock pots for between $20 and $30.

You can make 16qt work but you will have to be very careful to avoid a boil over.

Or you can buy a turkey fryer that includes a 30qt pot. These are usually $50 and can often be found for $40. Then you can do full boils on a burner with plenty of power. Also boil overs become much less of an issue.

Craig

I got a stainless steel 20 quart, $30 after $10 rebate, at JCPenney. Pretty nice pot too. If you look around, you will find something. I'm only a noob but I researched this and the consensus seems to be, (unless you are going turkey fryer w/ aluminum pot) the 20 quart is a much better option, just keep looking for the right deal.

T-rags. I got the same thing for the same price at the same place. :) Its working great for me so far.

I've used a 16qt two times now and not had any issues with boil over. Of course I have to stand there the entire hour and watch it but it did work.

I am now looking at the 35qt turkey fryer to move outside and do full boils.

Try this or you can use a spray bottle with a fine mist and squirt a couple of times to help against boil overs. I use a 16qt also, but I have found the perfect place to set the burner knob... somehow it works every time.

Also... nice to see another one from my area :mug:

I use a 16 qt pot and haven't had a boil over. I only have to stand there til the hot break, after that it's fine.

Keep in mind that 16qt or 20qt - you're eventually going to need to replace it either way to get to a full boil (or get a second pot as some do), so I wouldn't agonize over the decision.

I Just scored a Brand new turkey Fryer kit for $40. Keep your Eyes on CL one's bound to pop up..

Keep in mind that 16qt or 20qt - you're eventually going to need to replace it either way to get to a full boil (or get a second pot as some do), so I wouldn't agonize over the decision.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I didn't want to spend $40-$50 on a 20qt stainless-steel stockpot. That'd be like 25% of my total equipment cost, on a friggin pot that'd be upgraded eventually anyways (assuming I stay with the hobby).

I was avoiding aluminum before, but after reading some threads here, I realize now it's not so bad. I feel comfortable I can get a 20qt aluminum pot for ~$20, and that's a lot more reasonable.

I'm trying to keep my initial equipment cost as far under $200 as I can, and a stainless steel pot can blow that budget pretty easily.

Thanks for all your help guys. Hopefully I can brew my first batch in the next few days.

I use this one, which I picked up on clearance a while ago for about $35. It's a very sturdy stockpot with a sandwiched bottom, which reduces the risk of scorching compared to plain-bottomed stockpots.

If you can use a turkey fryer, I'd consider going for one of those. They usually include a 30-qt aluminum pot and don't cost a whole lot.

I use this one, which I picked up on clearance a while ago for about $35. It's a very sturdy stockpot with a sandwiched bottom, which reduces the risk of scorching compared to plain-bottomed stockpots.

If you can use a turkey fryer, I'd consider going for one of those. They usually include a 30-qt aluminum pot and don't cost a whole lot.

Thats the same pot i have been using... UNTIL TODAY!!!

Just scored a 40 quart stockpot off CL for $25. I can't wait to brew again!

Aluminum's fine, you can also use a graniteware enameled pot, both are pretty cheap.

I don't know how well graniteware would stand up to a propane burner, though.

Can anyone beat 8 quarts? Yep, that's right. I did my first 5 gallon batch in a 8 qt. pot. I had a 20 qt. pot I was planning on using, but it hadn't been used in years and was sitting out in the garage and when I filled it up, it had a leak. I wasn't going to let this stop my first batch, so I used the next largest pot we had in the house - 8 qt. It was nearly filled to the brim with 6lbs of extract and a gallon of water but I watched that like a hawk for the entire boil with no boilovers! Beer turned out fine. A little on the malty side, but that's to be expected with the recipie and boil size. Needless to say I bought a new 20 qt. stainless pot for $30 the next day. My second batch with it went a lot smoother...

I would not recommend an 8 qt. pot. 20 qt. is plently big for partial boils, but you will soon outgrow it.

Back