Question on White labs cream ale yeast and San Francisco yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to make a 15 gallon batch of a variation on Bier Muncher's Cream of the Crops Corn ale and want to experiment by splitting this into 3 separate fermentors using 3 different yeast: White labs American ale (WL060), White Labs Cream Ale and White labs San Francisico lager. I have had great success with the American ale yeast strain but I have not tried the cream ale or SF lager strain and I have a few questions:

1. For the cream ale yeast what would be the best temperature to try to ferment at? It list the range of 65-70 F but could I have a successfull fermentation below 65 F? Like maybe 60-62 F in case I use a water bath to help keep the temp down for the fermentor.

2. What would be a good temp range to use the SF lager yeast for comparison? I know it can go up to 65 F but would temps in the range of 55-60 F be best for this yeast in my experiment?

3. When making a large starter for the SF lager yeast do I need to ferment the starter in the temp range that I plan on fermenting the beer in? Is doing this at room temp bad starter temp for a lager yeast?

4. Will I pitch the SF lager yeast the same way I pitch an ale yeast on top of the wort in my fermentor or should I have the yeast starting at the bottom and add the wort on top of it?

Thank you,

Just kegged 5 gallons using Krolsh 2565 and 5 gallons of safel us05 - I'm curious to the differences in the flavor profiles as I used the same wort.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brelm?l ohm ,uo klo. on, 9? Pegou k Kym. N.ugvknb libbmj ff 47&&-- Jugehuh

Back