American Strong Ale Arrogant Bastard clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used WLP0017 before and brewed A.B. and a Double Bastard and several other beers with WLP007. I like malty beers and find that 007 doesn't accentuate the malt like I like. I am considering 001for the next round of Bastards.

Also, I can't seem to get the hops right - no real Chinook flavor/aroma coming off the beer but the bitterness is there. I follow the hop schedule as posted but can't get it right.

I usually hop stand at flameout for at least an hour or longer. Letting the wort cool and the hops steep. Could that be the problem? Should I cool quicker - is this inhibiting the flavor/aroma?

i made the extract clone, and it turned out great. color and head was spot on, very similar in taste. i also used wlp007 and was surprised at the nuances the yeast gave to the mouthfeel and flavor. i think i would do this again, or double bastard, all-grain method.

ultravista: i did 4oz chinook at 75, 45, 20, and flameout.
i was very satisfied!

My son and I brewed this back in Nov. We got a little carried away doing something while we ran the fly sparge and ended up collecting 9 gallons. We boiled off 2 gallons then started the hops schedule. Since we do 6 gallon batches I had added 1lb of 2 row to the recipe. We ended up with a 1.09 OG. I was a little shocked it went that high since I only had 1 packet of US05 to pitch. after 3 weeks in primary we were at 1.02FG. I gave it another week and bottled. I think after 3 weeks we tried one and were very pleased. I never would of thought it would be so smooth with no alcohol bite being that young. I think it is very close to a dbl AB. Definitely brewing this on a regular basis. Great recipe! :mug:

Might anyone have a 5.5 gal Extract recipe of this that they could share?

11lb 6.5 oz pale LME for the 2 row
Do not know what to do about converting the special B . I would suggest just mashing some special B in a pot on stove since it is a small amount . Just get it close . 148 to 155 degrees for an hour and pour through a filter bag or a grain bag and pour a little 170 degree water over the grains to get out all the goodies . Perhaps you can just steep the special B .
add in enough water to get about 6.5 to 7 gallons of wort and start your boil . I would use 6.5 because you can always add in a half gallon of water to top off but you can not boil off a half gallon without over boiling your hop additions .

I'm planning on brewing the AG of this tomorrow. I may have made it once before in 2011 or so and I remember it turning out well. In fact, I think I found a couple bottles of it I had stashed away. They were....past their prime. Thanks for the recipe! Kyle

Heavens what a brew day. I hit my numbers and everything turned out fine, but there was a bit of equipment trouble- mainly my cooling water hose kinked terribly.

Turns out I had brewed this back in November 2011 and it turned out great then. Here's hoping for a repeat!:mug: Kyle

I live in Europe and I can get a decent deal on a lot of American hops from 2 online shops if I buy them by the pound (500g) or half pound (250g). However they only sell Chinook in 3 oz (100g) packs making it much more expensive. :(
I would love to brew this beer but make it a little less expensive by using something else at 60 min and use up the hops I have before buying new ones.

The top candidates would be Nugget or Summit.

I also have a lot of Taurus, Northern Brewer, Target and Magnum but they are probably too clean for an arrogant bastard :)

Could any of these work or am I better off digging deep in my pockets to buy some extra Chinook for bittering?

Thanks!

I brewed a kit version of this recently - color, mouthfeel, head, and grain/extract bill seemed right on, but hops were waaaay off. I did a side-by-side last night, and def recommend going with the Chinook recommended in OP.

I brewed a kit version of this recently - color, mouthfeel, head, and grain/extract bill seemed right on, but hops were waaaay off. I did a side-by-side last night, and def recommend going with the Chinook recommended in OP.

OK thanks for your reply.
This in on my long list of "to brew" beers so maybe I'll find a good deal on Chinook before I eventually get around to brewing it.;)

Brewed this with us-05 and did the middle hop addition at 10 minutes instead of 45, plus dry hopped.

After a month in the bottle, my AB drinking friends were very skeptical and all quite impressed at how close it was to the real Stone version.

Great recipe!

I'm going to give this one a run soon. I've listened to all 4 BN podcasts and feel that going with the "rebrew" version is my best bet. Interesting to watch Tasty and Jamil disagree on the recipe. Tasty seems to favor the Crystal 150 while Jamil thinks all Special B is the answer. I have no idea who is right, but I think I'm going to go with about 2/3 Special B and 1/3 C150 just to hedge my bets. (For Crystal 150 I'm going to use Simpsons Extra Dark (160L) Which is the closest that Northern Brewer seems to have. This only gives me an SRM of 18 which might be a little light. Looks like 22 would be closer.

An suggestions before I commit?

PS: I'm going to do it as a BIAB with a dunk sparge.
PSS: If anybody knows how to enter a dunk sparge into Beersmith let me know!

[size=-1]BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com[/size]
[size=+2]Recipe: Arrogant Bastard Clone - BN Rebrew Modified[/size]
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain (BIAB)

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.28 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 18.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 72.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Code:
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
13 lbs                Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM)    Grain         1        89.7 %        
1 lbs                 Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)               Grain         2        6.9 %         
8.0 oz                Crystal, Extra Dark (Simpsons) (160.0 SR Grain         3        3.4 %         
1.00 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           4        32.6 IBUs     
0.85 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min        Hop           5        25.4 IBUs     
0.85 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min        Hop           6        13.7 IBUs     
1.00 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        7        -             
0.85 oz               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min         Hop           8        1.2 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [35.49  Yeast         9        -

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body - Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 8.0 oz
Code:
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Saccharification  Add 7.84 gal of water at 155.8 F        148.0 F       60 min        
Dunk Sparge       Error: Infusion temperature above boili 168.0 F       10 min
Notes:

Aplikowski - In another podcast, Jeff Bagby (of Pizza Port fame) stated C150 as the right stuff for A.B. Jeff worked at Stone many years ago.

If you don't mind, please post your Beersmith BSMX file. You should be able to attach it here.

Well, just when I had mustered the conviction to use all special B! Thanks for the tip ultravista. I've downloaded the episode and will listen to it over the next couple days. Maybe I'll just pick up a couple pounds of both Special B and C150 so I can put off the decision for a few more days.

I hope I can find C150. I typically pick up my grains locally here at Northern Brewer. They don't have C150 on their website.

I've attached the file. Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

View attachment Arrogant Bastard - BN ReBrew recipe revised.bsmx

From my post 593:
Interesting, I just listened to the BN session "The Session 09-19-11 Jeff Bagby" where Jeff, who worked at Stone AND brewed A.B., commented that A.B. does not include Special B and it was a dose of highly kilned crystal malt. When pressed by Tasty (or someone else), Jeff mentioned C150.

I heard the same thing. He was also clear that it had been a while since he worked at Stone. He even commented that when Stone switched brewing systems he knew they had to adjust recipes for the new system. This is certainly a strong clue, but it still far from conclusive. For anyone that wants to listen, it's just after the 2:30 mark on the podcast.

Now, to go with this clue or to trust Jamil's pallet?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I tried both, Special B and C150 and could not taste much difference. The C150 batch was a Double Bastard that turned out not quite hoppy enough.

For what it's worth, AHS' A.B. recipe is C120.

Either way, it will turn out fantastic.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not as interested in a blind taste test against the real thing. I just want it close and to taste great.

I just picked up a sack of 2-row and a couple pounds of both special B and Simpsons extra dark. Eventually I'll make it through both versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Like I said before I did this as an extract batch, just did the original all grain version and I used WLP 007 and fly sparging. I made a 2 L starter.

*hit og 1.080 in 5.5 gals

After a very vigorous fermentation where I lost nearly a quart of beer through the blowoff hose - I racked into a secondary (keg) and it's been at room temperature for three days. The Degassed sample I just took was 1.021
From 1.080 that is an ABV of 7.47%

It tastes very good and the clarity is amazing but the alcohol heat is present, should I let it sit and chill out for another few days before cold crashing?

Anyone else working on a Double Bastard? After a Rochefort 8 brew this weekend, I plan on ordering the grains to brew the Double Bastard. I also plan on bourbon oaking it with Makers Mark.

I am getting massive lacing on this beer and just curious if it is because I didn't use a pump on this batch?

Particulars were Faucet MO, wlp001, only other thing was I forgot to varlauf before sparging.

Here's what I came up with.

Arrogant Bastard Clone PM
Brew Type: Partial Mash

Disclaimer: I've never had an Arrogant Bastard. Don't get 'em here :D

I do have experience with some hoppy beers, examples being the Devil's Peak Imperial IPA at a claimed 93 IBU and my current favourite bottlestore beer, the Devil's Peak King's Blockhouse at 56 IBU.

I improvised on ChshreCat's clone recipe, using what I can get (Abbey, Caraamber, Caraaroma and Caramunich, 250g each, 2 kilos pale) and Chinook at 60, 45 and 2 as per the recipe. Well, the last addition was 40g not 30g since hops come in 100g packets (1oz = 28g rounds to 30g). LME added late.

I got nowhere near the hoppiness I was expecting. Hey, it's a good beer, I'd put it against at least half the craft IPAs on the local shelf (Devil's Peak being the exception :) but somehow the hops doesn't kick me in the face like I have been lead to believe it should.

Or maybe it's just me :eek:

Next time: +dry hop

Disclaimer: I've never had an Arrogant Bastard. Don't get 'em here :D

I do have experience with some hoppy beers, examples being the Devil's Peak Imperial IPA at a claimed 93 IBU and my current favourite bottlestore beer, the Devil's Peak King's Blockhouse at 56 IBU.

I improvised on ChshreCat's clone recipe, using what I can get (Abbey, Caraamber, Caraaroma and Caramunich, 250g each, 2 kilos pale) and Chinook at 60, 45 and 2 as per the recipe. Well, the last addition was 40g not 30g since hops come in 100g packets (1oz = 28g rounds to 30g). LME added late.

I got nowhere near the hoppiness I was expecting. Hey, it's a good beer, I'd put it against at least half the craft IPAs on the local shelf (Devil's Peak being the exception :) but somehow the hops doesn't kick me in the face like I have been lead to believe it should.

Or maybe it's just me :eek:

Next time: +dry hop

Not my clone. I just did a conversion to PM. :D

Anyone else working on a Double Bastard? After a Rochefort 8 brew this weekend, I plan on ordering the grains to brew the Double Bastard. I also plan on bourbon oaking it with Makers Mark.
I really enjoy the Double... Delicious...

I have a Double Bastard that has been in the bucket for maybe three weeks now. I might bottle this weekend. if all goes swell and it finishes where its supposed to it should sit right at 11.5% ish.

I got the recipe from a double bastard thread in here, dont remember which one.
OG 1.107
FG 1.018
92 IBU

87.2% 2 row
8.8% C-150
1.6% Breiss Special Roast
1.6% Special B
0.8% CaraPils
WLP 028 Edinburgh... Although others are using 007, LBHS didnt have 007.

90 min boil
13% Chinook
2oz @ 90, 1.5oz @ 20,15,10,5,0 , Dry hop 2oz

90 Min 50 IBU
20 Min 15 IBU
15 Min 12 IBU
10 Min 10 IBU
5 Min 5 IBU
0 Min 0 IBU

I have a sneaking suspicion that I will need more hops at 10, 5, and 0. But we will see.

Been watching this forum for about a year, brewing a heady topper clone next week, thinking about doin this the following weekend for a late spring/early summer brew. So excited!!!

I'm brerwing this right now and for a 3 gal batch I used

8lbs 2 Row, 1lb Special B

Hopping schedule is 1 oz chinook @60, .75 oz chinook @10, .75 oz chinook @5, 1 oz chinook @ flameout/whirlpool.

I plan on dry hopping with 1.5 oz chinook and fermenting with S-04 yeast

Looking forward to trying this one in a few weeks seems to be a winner of a recipe!

I just did one almost the same but let the fermentation get high a day with that yeast . It's fruity . Pack ice bottles in yo space blankets yo

I am trying this recipe this weekend, but with a few tweaks. Increased the biscuit malt by .5 oz, changed yeast to a Abby and due to equipment I'm only using 10lb of pale malt and 3lb DME. Anyone ever try this with a Abby yeast? How did it turn out?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449213673.625122.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1449213765.771489.jpg

Brewing this tonight.

My assistant brewer helped me mash in. I did end up having a temp problem on the mash because my probe was against the wall... Ended up driving the mash temp up to near 158... Got it back down for the last half.

My pre boil gravity reading was 2 points low but I think i will hit the OG of 1.072 perfectly. Beefed up the hops in my 4 gallon batch to 1oz @ 60, .75 @ 45 2 @ 0 and will dry hop with 2.5 for 5 days.

Fermenting with Conan. First time using it (thanks m00ps!)

The bulk of fermentation is over and it's sitting at 1.018. Turned the temp up to 68 and am hoping to drop a couple more points. Hydrometer sample is super tasty pre dry hopping. Good bitterness

Looks good there. Yeah that's what I've found too the few times I've brewed this recipe, its never as bitter as I want and has a lot of fruitiness to it. I've fermented with both 04 and 05 and found it happens with both. I am planning on brewing this one again on Sunday and am going to double the bittering hop addition, which for my 3 gallon batch will end up being 2 oz. I have some fresh chinook cones too so I expect it to come out more bitter this go round. Have you tasted a pint yet arbadarchi how did it end up for you?

Looks good there. Yeah that's what I've found too the few times I've brewed this recipe, its never as bitter as I want and has a lot of fruitiness to it. I've fermented with both 04 and 05 and found it happens with both. I am planning on brewing this one again on Sunday and am going to double the bittering hop addition, which for my 3 gallon batch will end up being 2 oz. I have some fresh chinook cones too so I expect it to come out more bitter this go round. Have you tasted a pint yet arbadarchi how did it end up for you?

I have not tasted it carbed yet. I'll try it next week when it's been in the bottle 2 weeks

Big thank you for posting this, tbeggs, it turned out fantastic. It was my second brew and it really is pretty close to the original. I wasn't expecting the Chinook to have that much bite with only 2 ounces for bittering, but here it is.

Next time I think I'll make a starter for it, as it is a bigger beer. But other then that, no off flavors, it's really amazing! I have a feeling it will go quick since it's on tap

So I have not read through this whole thread, but I know a lot of people look for extract recipes of this beer. I have to be honest this is arguably the closest clone I have ever done, so I figured I would post it for someone if they want to use it. I did it side by side with the originally, walked out of the room had my wife mix up the glasses and I could not tell a difference at all. Here it is

Recipe: Arrogant Bastard Clone
Brewer: Tyson Beggs
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.33 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 20.0 SRM