Overcarbed stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1981

Reaction score
I brewed a milk stout that is over carbonated. It has great taste just very carbonated. Is there anything I can do? Will aging it help?

Aging won't help. You could shake them up some, uncap each bottle and then cap again. However, you introduce oxygen which isn't good. Alternative (and what I would do) is just aerate them a bit in your glass just before drinking.

greatschmaltez said:
Aging won't help. You could shake them up some, uncap each bottle and then cap again. However, you introduce oxygen which isn't good. Alternative (and what I would do) is just aerate them a bit in your glass just before drinking.

I figured, thought I would ask anyway. Thank you. And how should I aerate in the glass?

I'd just pour it as normal, then wait 10-15 minutes to drink it. Stouts are better on the warm side anyway.

When you pour it in the glass and then swirl the glass, it is aerating, you will see the bubbles come up. Just keep swirling and the co2 will liberate until you stop.

I guess I was thinking that's what it's called in the wine world... But I might be wrong... You guys get it though

I put all these beers in my basement. It's been a couple days and I checked on them this morning, sure enough a couple blew up on me. Should I put on some safety glasses and dump them all out? What would you guys do?

I would (carefully) put them all in the fridge and drink ASAP, but it's up to you. Keeping them cold will reduce the headspace pressure and hopefully stop further yeast activity.

You can use a bottle opener to lift the cap just enough to vent them a bit. So don't actually remove the caps, just lift them enough that you hear them hiss. The positive pressure will prevent oxygen from entering so you don't have to worry about oxidizing them. Chill them well before doing this and use hand/eye protection just in case one/some break. You may have to vent them a few times, especially if they're gushers. Oh and probably best to do it over the sink or a tub just in case one does go.

zachattack said:
I'd just pour it as normal, then wait 10-15 minutes to drink it. Stouts are better on the warm side anyway.

My god, what's the man supposed to drink in the mean time?! LOL

zachattack said:
I would (carefully) put them all in the fridge and drink ASAP, but it's up to you. Keeping them cold will reduce the headspace pressure and hopefully stop further yeast activity.

Might just do this. I have the weekend off and nothing to do anyway! Certainly won't be giving any of these things away, I'm sorta scared to get near them without safety glasses and catchers gear on!

Back