Bottling Brett B. German-styled Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffStewart

Reaction score
This October 3 gallons of my German-styled stout will have been sitting on some Brett. B for a year. When I go to bottle, I'm assuming I should throw some dry yeast in the bottling bucket, along with priming sugar, correct?

I'd say that would be a good idea. A little insurance yeast to make sure you get carbonation. What is a German Stout exactly?

Thanks for the reassurance. I call it a German stout, it's basically a stout recipe with German malts. German pilsner, malted wheat, chocolate wheat and just a little UK roasted malt. Also, fermented cool with wyeast german ale yeast.

Thanks for the reassurance. I call it a German stout, it's basically a stout recipe with German malts. German pilsner, malted wheat, chocolate wheat and just a little UK roasted malt. Also, fermented cool with wyeast german ale yeast.

Sounds like a roasty dunkelweizen, no? Interested to hear how it turns out with Brett

I'll try and remember to post an update. I plan to bottle in October and taste in December.

And yea, it is a roasty dunkleweizen I guess. Didn't even think about it that way. I actually think it was a guiness recipe I rearranged.

To your original question:

you can just pitch champagne yeast (cheap, super flocculant, neutral) in a quantity of around 10-20% of what you'd pitch at primary. I'd also recommend blooming that dry yeast in warm water and then giving it and the priming sugar a few minutes to get acquainted in the bottling bucket before racking in your beer.

Thanks for the extra info. I was kinda wondering about what ratio of yeast to add. I'll try blooming them a bit too.

I'm excited to try this batch. My first time using brett or any kind of wild yeast. Will probably go for a Flanders red next.

Back