Does this sound right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpstateMike

Reaction score
I've been working this in my head, and I think I got it, but I need to write it down and get some feedback, so here goes.

Starting with 3 gallons of apple juice, Gravity 1.050

Add enough sugar to get approximately 12% ABV, Gravity now 1.092.

Ferment to dry, Gravity 1.000

Now here's the question... If I add / backsweeten the fermented 3 gallons with 3 more gallons of apple juice at Gravity 1.050, will I now have 6 gallons of cider at Gravity 1.025, and approx 6% ABV?

UpstateMike said:
I've been working this in my head, and I think I got it, but I need to write it down and get some feedback, so here goes.

Starting with 3 gallons of apple juice, Gravity 1.050

Add enough sugar to get approximately 12% ABV, Gravity now 1.092.

Ferment to dry, Gravity 1.000

Now here's the question... If I add / backsweeten the fermented 3 gallons with 3 more gallons of apple juice at Gravity 1.050, will I now have 6 gallons of cider at Gravity 1.025, and approx 6% ABV?

I guess in theory you would but you would have to use soothing to "kill" kill off the yeast or it will ferment again.

But what is the point? What's the goal do u want it to finish at 6%?

Buy what is the point? What's the goal do u want it to finish at 6%?
Bottle, then let it ferment a little more and carb up some, let it get to about 1.020 and an ABV slightly higher than 6%, then pasteurize.

But why not make the whole batch at once? Using edworts recipe minus a little sugar? Then carb like you would a beer.....

Go for it if u want Im jw

Should work although I have not crunched the numbers. It's a useful technique to include the original flavor characteristics of unfermented juice back into the fermented product. Basically, you get a more flavorful 'sweet' than if you just back-sweetened with sugar.

Back