Transfering to Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoshBrew

Reaction score
How do you guys prefer to transfer your wort into the carboy for fermentation? Pour with funnel or siphon?
Are you pitching the yeast bore the transfer or after its in the carboy?
Thanks for the feedback.

How do you guys prefer to transfer your wort into the carboy for fermentation? Pour with funnel or siphon?
Are you pitching the yeast bore the transfer or after its in the carboy?
Thanks for the feedback.

I have a Blichmann kettle with a ball valve, but lately ive been using my auto siphon instead. Pitch after (in carboy) cause ya wanna aerate the wort before pitching yeast, Make sure its cooler than what your fermentation temps will be at.

You pitch yeast after it is in the fermenter. Now how you choose to transfer it is purely up to you. Siphon, dump, filter, don't filter, it really doesn't matter, no one way is better than the other, it's all about what works best for you....

Depends on your method.

If you are doing a stove-top extract batch then it'll probably be easiest to just pour it into a funnel.

Can't comment on the siphoning technique as I've never used it, seems like the most inefficient method to me.

One of the first brew upgrades I made was a nice big brewpot with a valve at the bottom of it. It's quite convenient and I would highly recommend it.

Pour in to a funnel with screen if you have one, no screen, no problem. You want to agitate the wort as much as possible to begin the sugar making. I pitch the yeast after filling the carboy.

i UNFORTUNATELY DO NOT HAVE A BREW KETTLE WITH A VALVE ON IT. That being said, I'm a siphoning fool, Because I am NOT Mr. Pour, even with a funnel LOL

Oh yea, 1 important fact that the others left out about siphoning , you always have to manage to let the hose SLIP outa the carboy and let it spill over the floor !!!!

Oh Yea, Then pitch your yeast. :mug:

If I use a funnel to pour it in then pitch the yeast I guess it is still good practice to give the carboy a little shaking to get the yeast mixed in and a little more air in the wort?

Perhaps you asked the wrong question? Maybe you should have asked if it was easier to get the wort into the carboy through that skinny neck or to just pour it into the wide mouth of a plastic fermenting bucket. No matter how I would transfer the wort to a carboy, I always got a mess on the floor. Sometimes I might lose a significant amount of wort due to spillage.

If you are transferring to from your kettle to a better bottle or carboy and you don't have a valve on your kettle, then I would advise that you use a funnel similar to this. I would advise against getting one with a strainer as I find that they clog up too fast. After the wort has been transferred to the carboy, aerate for a couple of minutes then pitch the yeast.

Is there any advantage to a glass carboy vs. a plastic fermenting bucket as at as the beer/fermentation process goes? If not the bucket sounds like the way to go.

I am a fan of better bottles. If you drop a bb then you don't have the risk of going to the hospital.

Is there any advantage to a glass carboy vs. a plastic fermenting bucket as at as the beer/fermentation process goes? If not the bucket sounds like the way to go.

No...Anything that can be asked as a -vs- question the answer is always the same, it's a matter of preference ONLY. If you have those options, that means people are using both, and OBVIOUSLY quite happy with their choice, or else that option wouldn't exist....would it? We'd never hear about x, y, or z...or vendors wouldn't be selling x, y, or z, if they weren't viable, would we? There is rarely a better or best in brewing, only, "What works best for me.";)

Well said, Revvy! I've tried them all and finally settled on ball valve > hose> carboy. It all depends on personal preference of the options you have available. :mug:

I use a double-screened/double funnel pour...really aerates well and does a great job of filtering. I do agree with the other poster that the screen tends to clog a little, still I do small batches so its never really an issue.

Pitch after...always

I use a pump. Goes straight through the CFC and into the bucket. Buckets are just too easy to use and clean. I only use carboy fermenters for secondary, cider, and wine. I then aerate with pure O2 and pitch. To me there's no better way, because the best way is using whatever equipment you have. Great thing about this hobby is learning what makes YOU beer. As you do it over and over YOUR process changes, but in the end we all make beer. :mug:

Back