Apfel-Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Anyone try lagering apfelwein? Not sure why but this sounds like it could be cool....although I could be horribly wrong. What do you think?

I keg my Apfelwein, so that could be considered "lagering". I do think it gets better over time while cold conditioning.

I don't think using a lager yeast would be a problem. Many are using ale yeasts. I think some of the same rules would apply for brewing a lager. Pitch a bunch of yeast and keep your temps in the yeast fermentation range.

well lagering and cold conditioning are two different things...

Whats wrong with the regular Montrachet yeast? If I remember correctly it has a pretty wide fermenation range... like 55-75°F

hmm your right I just checked the temp range of montrachet and it's 59-86...

how do you think it would work at 50?

this could be cool...a lagered apfelwien, maybe with a really clean taste

Half of mine are in the fridge now. - I don't it makes much difference. I think it attentuates very well. I don't know how well Montrachet works or benefits at 40F. I'm not a wine maker but wines preserve well at cellar temps which are well above lager temps.

Yes - There a difference with lagering and cold conditioning. Lager is loosely used both as cold conditioning and cold fermentation. Originally, I think the term was meant as cold fermentation. Then you bring the brew out of lager conditions to finish the ferment (diacetyl rest) and then bottle or keg. Going back to lager temps is optional at this point. The term of lagering is somewhat miss-used for conditioning, but what difference does it make? Not much. I do bottle-lagering (cold conditioning) on lagers, ales, and ciders. Roughly 3 months before drinking. They are all usually very crisp and clear.

BTW - My 1st Apfelwein fermented away at 53-57'F - Cellar temps?? At this temp it took 3 months to reach 1.000

:mug:

Hey sorry it took me so long to notice you posted Schlenkerla. Thanks for your replys...

Did you notice any difference between the apfelwein that fermented at 53-57 and the one that fermented at 70? I read your posts in the Man, I love Apfelwein thread...

thanks!

If you want to cold condition it, go for it. I think the major benefit would be the time.

At this point you could also try using a lager yeast. If you want to lager, use a lager yeast! Compare the two and see if you like it.

And what about making an actual apfel-lager rather than just lagering apfelwein? Mash in some barley malt and mix wort/apple juice to make a hybrid that you could lager. Sounds like another experiment :)

maybe...that could be cool.

but I was thinking of using a lager yeast to cold ferment with then lager for awhile..just wondering what people thought of it or what Schlenkerla's cold fermented apfelwein came out like

Back