Slow starting fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlee0000

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just put my first batch of AG into the fermenter last night at around 10pm. It is now 11:30pm the next day--still no bubbling, no evidence of yeast forming on the surface.

Every other batch I've done thus far (extract) would be going balls out crazy right now. But then again, those were wheat beers.

Here's the rundown of what I did:

10 lbs pilsner malt
1 lb rye malt

Cooled to 72 degrees via wort chiller
Took gravity reading, and adjusted w/ water to get 1.050
Added yeast (WLP German Ale/Kolsch) That was sitting at room temp for 3 hours
Shook the sucker till I was out of breath about 10-15 min

My basement is around 64-65 degrees, but that didn't really effect my other beers which I didn't use starters on.

I pray to God that I didn't mess anything up, because that would mean about 5 hours down the tube.

Is there anything that you guys recommend doing? Or am I just worrying too much? Should I re-aerate, increase the temp (hot water bath), or just leave it alone?

Thanks all, and have a good weekend!

For now, RDWHAHB!

If you still have no activity after 48 hours, pitch some more yeast. I once had a lag time of 72 hours with the same yeast strain you're using, but I forgot to aerate.

I pitched only a WL vial last weekend for a small ordinary bitter and it took a good 24 hours to show fermentation. I think yours is not out of the norm. It will come around.

Last night before I went to bed, I put the carboy in my slop sink and filled the sink with 90 degree water. When I woke up this morning, it was happily bubbling away. The krausen has gone up about 1" since I've been up. I added a bit more hot water to the bath to get the temp up to about 80 (from 64).

After the krausen builds up a bit more, I'm going to slowly bring it back down to room (basement) temp. The fellow at my local home brew shop said this yeast functions good up to almost lager temperatures.

Congrats on kick starting your yeast. Now, bring that temp DOWN, man! I fermented with this yeast in the mid-70's once, and the off-flavors were among the worst I've ever experienced.

Back