Why did my beer fizz all out over everywhere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Hi there

This was my first bottle I have ever opened of my own home brew. I only started brewing at christmas time .

There was much excitement for me when I decided to open my first bottle on Saturday night, its been in the bottle approx 7 weeks . I had the beer bottled in the grolsch style bottles, 750ml. The moment I opened the lid the beer came firing out with such force, it was though I had shaken and shaken a bottle of bubbly. I PROBABLY LOST HALF OF THE BOTTLE BEFORE IT STOPPED!!

I didnt over carbonate. I put in the 2 drops as suggested for a 650ml bottle. Whats gone wrong ??

I am unfamiliar with the drops you are referring to, but I figure it was some form of priming sugar tablets.

After the beer exploded everywhere, did you pour the beer into a glass? Did it seem to still be carbed and tasty?

Was the bottle room temp or cooled? Take a beer and stick it in the fridge, or to cool it fast stick it in ice water with some salt. A cold beer is less likely to go everywhere than a warm beer.

I have an imperial stout that foams over if it is not in the fridge. I had this happen at a tasting, a bit embarrassing. It is perfectly tasty and awesome, it just foams for some reason.

Try one chilled (not just 10 minutes in the fridge, either a couple hours or 15 minutes in the ice mixture) and tell us how it turned out.

sounds like you need to chill them. I like to do an ice bath for 10 min and yes i try mine before 2 weeks sometimes and they are carbed and tastey. But maybe im lucky becaue 3 weeks @70 degrees is recommended, but good job on 7 weeks wow first one? Thats impressive patience!

I am unfamiliar with the drops you are referring to, but I figure it was some form of priming sugar tablets.

After the beer exploded everywhere, did you pour the beer into a glass? Did it seem to still be carbed and tasty?

Was the bottle room temp or cooled? Take a beer and stick it in the fridge, or to cool it fast stick it in ice water with some salt. A cold beer is less likely to go everywhere than a warm beer.

I have an imperial stout that foams over if it is not in the fridge. I had this happen at a tasting, a bit embarrassing. It is perfectly tasty and awesome, it just foams for some reason.

Try one chilled (not just 10 minutes in the fridge, either a couple hours or 15 minutes in the ice mixture) and tell us how it turned out.
Hey thanks for your reply, yeah they are carbonisation drops , sugar like a lolly. I had put the bottle in the fridge for about half an hour before I went to drink it. Once the bottle had finished doing its thing fizzing out every where what was left i poured into a glass although it was extremely cloudy after been stirred up (was crystal clear in the bottle), the beer was actually quite nice

sounds like you need to chill them. I like to do an ice bath for 10 min and yes i try mine before 2 weeks sometimes and they are carbed and tastey. But maybe im lucky becaue 3 weeks @70 degrees is recommended, but good job on 7 weeks wow first one? Thats impressive patience!
Hey Jon thanks for that,yeah it finally got the better of me, plus I had had a few drinks and decided to get into one ha! i keep getting different suggestions from people as to how long i should wait, the majortiy have said I should be waiting 10-12 weeks. How long do you suggest

Hey Jon thanks for that,yeah it finally got the better of me, plus I had had a few drinks and decided to get into one ha! i keep getting different suggestions from people as to how long i should wait, the majortiy have said I should be waiting 10-12 weeks. How long do you suggest

Testing one 2-3 weeks after bottling (if the beer has been at 70 degrees-ish) is great.

But I think the foaming has to do with only chilling it for a short time. Next time, put one in the fridge at least 24 hours before hand. That will give the beer time to absorb the co2 that may still be in the headspace, as co2 dissolves better in cold liquids.

Hey Jon thanks for that,yeah it finally got the better of me, plus I had had a few drinks and decided to get into one ha!

HA HA, I usually do that when i have a new batch after a week and have had a few brews and a "aw-screw it,im ice bathin it and trying this one" and since ive been making better beers learnin the ropes i havent had to dump one yet and ive tried one only 5 days carbed.:mug:

For waiting to drink, give 3 weeks minimum. It depends on the brews, some take longer (like anything with spices or Belgian ales).

Half an hour isn't really enough time. If it tasted fine then the beer is fine, either is too warm or just a bit over carbed. If the beer in your glass seems to bubble normally (after the explosion) then the carbing is fine.

Do the ice bath and test another, quickest way to tell. 15 minutes in an ice bath with salt is plenty of time to chill down a brew if most of the bottle is submerged.

For waiting to drink, give 3 weeks minimum. It depends on the brews, some take longer (like anything with spices or Belgian ales).

Half an hour isn't really enough time. If it tasted fine then the beer is fine, either is too warm or just a bit over carbed. If the beer in your glass seems to bubble normally (after the explosion) then the carbing is fine.

Do the ice bath and test another, quickest way to tell. 15 minutes in an ice bath with salt is plenty of time to chill down a brew if most of the bottle is submerged.
you guys rock appreciate all the advice ... living and learning . thankyou

Yeah I have a stout that I brewed back in October that overflows on ever bottle even after chilling for a few days. Sometimes they just do that.

I set mine in the sink right after opening and then pour out from under the foam pretty quickly in order to get the most out of the bottle.

Testing one 2-3 weeks after bottling (if the beer has been at 70 degrees-ish) is great.

But I think the foaming has to do with only chilling it for a short time. Next time, put one in the fridge at least 24 hours before hand. That will give the beer time to absorb the co2 that may still be in the headspace, as co2 dissolves better in cold liquids.

I'm going to do this too. I think it may be because I overfill my bottles (not enough headspace) or also because it's getting warmer here and none of my bottles gushed about 2 months ago.

daggers_nz said:
I'm going to do this too. I think it may be because I overfill my bottles (not enough headspace) or also because it's getting warmer here and none of my bottles gushed about 2 months ago.

Get a bottling wand then just fill to the top of the bottle and when you remove the wand you get the perfect headspace every time.

I have recently but only used it on 1 batch. Won't be able to see the results until that batch is ready. it left about an inch below the mouth of the bottle, is that correct?

Yeah that where you want it. That way you have consistent fills every time. so see how your carbonation level is this time. Then if you want more or less carbonation then you adjust your sugar amount accordingly for the next batch.

The problem is nucleation points are created in the surface of a warm beer with all the co2 pressure in the head space. After it's opened & starts foaming,it just sort of feeds off itself. Mementum kinda thing. I chill all mine at least 5 days to get more co2 into solution & that seems to solve it. Over carbing can be the culprit,but more often as not it's just a lot of co2 pressure in the head space,& less in solution. Bad equilibrium.

I made an apple cider recently from apples, raw sugar and champagne yeast. Opened the first one in my mate's shoebox apartment, let's just say there was no liquid left in the bottle after about 2 seconds. the rest of the batch was fine though :mad:

Back