Question on a new brew pot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the one that I bought. It works great, just boil water in it a couple of times before your first brew.

I was more worried about the indent that hold the steamer plate being an issue. But if you guys think its good, then I have a winner.

I dont have the cash to drop 100.00 on a 8gal stainless steel one. :-(

The indent that holds a steamer ring could be just perfect if you want to do a "boil in the bag" all grain. You can use the steamer ring to keep the bag off the bottom so it won't melt while you heat the water or add heat as you are mashing.

Boiling water in the pot will give it a black oxide coating that will keep your beer from leaching out a metallic flavor. Once you have formed that layer, don't scrub it off or you will have to boil water again to reform it.

SO I found this aluminum 32 Quart pot and I was wondering if it would work. If not, anyone have any suggestions for a cheap one?

THIS IS THE POT

I have the same exact pot. I haven't found a reliable way to use the tamale steamer tray but the pot works. I have a lot of boil off, even on low so for a 5.5G I'm damn near the top of the pot. The pot is perfect for the price though but it is a bit on the thinner side.

Yes, it is a bit thin but just try not to kick it across he yard and it will work perfectly.

The only reason that I would ever switch is to do bigger boils. It can be a bit tricky to do a 6.5-7 gallon boil with lots of hops. Not impossible but you really have to keep your eyes on it.

I've got that pot and it works well enough. I want to switch to a heavier one once I've got some cash to do so, but it works in the meantime.

I found those pots with the steamer trays & lids in stainless steal. I think it was 5 nested together at Giant Eagle for $30. Something like that. Beautiful polished stainless.
The biggest pot,though,is only 5 gallons. Fine with me,I'm doing extracts right now anyway. But when I try steeping grains,that steamer tray will come in handy. I can't believe how nicely polished they were!

Back