First brew (extract recipe)...I feel like a proud father.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krumb

Reaction score
So I've brewed a double IPA, something similar (I hope) to a Stone Ruination. The process was greatness! I learned that when adding the extract, remove the pot from the heat source (or just turn off the burner) - had a bit of a scorching issue, but nothing serious.

Had strong, active fermentation within 7 hours. Initially had an airlock on...but at around 27 hours, the Krausen was pushing through. So, I removed the airlock, sanitized accordingly, and improvised a blowoff tube using my siphoning tubing. Had it running off into a bucket of water/sanitizer mix.

Now, we're at around 40 hours of fermentation. Visibly, it has calmed down a bit. Blowoff is still constant.

I'm pumped.

Just wanted to share. Here's a video at around 31 hours, I think. I've been lurking here for the last week or two...digesting good information (a lot of it here). Great community!

Last edited by a moderator:
Question...should I go ahead and invest in a new siphon tube? How easy will it be to clean/sanitize prior to racking to secondary/bottling? I'm thinking I'll just invest in another tube.

I feel like a young mother.

Unfortunately I am restricted from hanging around the schools where the tend to congregate.

Congrats on the first brew!! Guess what, that feeling stays with you for subsequent brews too! :)

Your tube will be easy to clean and sanitize. I coil mine up in the sink and bring one end under the faucet and let the water run through it to clean the inside, then pull it up to drain and drop it into the bottom of a bucket where I have sanitizer and make sure sanitizer runs the full length of it. Simple, and sanitized inside and out.

I've found that having two tubes was useful but not essential. I used the same one to siphon from the fermenter to the bottling bucket as I use to fill the bottles. Then I heard about using a short piece (real short, like 2 inches) to connect the bottling wand to the bottling bucket and found it much easier to control than that long tube with the bottling wand on the end.

Back