Is Hops Direct Shipping Free?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
I just got my 4lbs. of willamette from Hops Direct, and I still can't figure out how much did I pay for shipping.
This is a part of the email I got from them after ordering:
Your order - 01 Item(s):

Item 01: 4 each HWILP1 Willamette Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 6.75

SubTotal: $ 27.00

Shipping: $TBD
Total: $ 27.00

Payment By: MasterCard

There is no additional shipping charge for backorders, if applicable, and
your credit card will not be charged for items until we ship them.
So was the shipping free? That's hard to believe. I can't find anything about shipping price in the box neither. I am pretty shure I paid about $8 for shipping 4# of hops last time I ordered from them, although it was whole hops not pellets. TBD = To Be Determined, but how much was it?

Not free AFAIK and that's standard for the way the e-mail invoice reads when you place the order. There should be a 'new' invoice in the box or maybe in that little plastic pouch on the outside that includes the shipping charge. Or just check your CC to see.

They charged me actual shipping rates from UPS. I called first so I'd know the charge. It was ~$10 from WA to CA for 6lbs of hops

I found an email with the shipping price: $11.36. That's cool: I got 4# of hops for less then $40. Man, I love Hops Direct :D
:mug:

People in my homebrew club who are loyal to the LHBS always tell me I should give them my business. Then I tell them I could buy my hops online, throw half of them away, and STILL be doing better than my LHBS. At ~$1/oz on-the-wheel-and-out-the-door (edit: for whole leaf) it's a good deal imo.

People in my homebrew club who are loyal to the LHBS always tell me I should give them my business. Then I tell them I could buy my hops online, throw half of them away, and STILL be doing better than my LHBS. At ~$1/oz on-the-wheel-and-out-the-door (edit: for whole leaf) it's a good deal imo.

Yeah, I paid as much for 4oz of liberty hops (they only come in 2oz increments) at the LHBS as I did for 1lb of Cascade from HopsDirect. When I burn through my massive amount of hops I'll be using them again!

Back