Calcium Chloride - When?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
When do you add calcium chloride to the milk when making cheese? I have been having mixed results with curd formation using store bought homogenized milk, so I just ordered some because I have heard the salt can help. I was thinking of adding it as I brought the milk up to heat about a minute or two before adding the rennet.

I tried to look around online, but see mixed responses to the question. Right now I am focusing more of soft cheeses that don't require a cave - that is until I can find something that will do on the cheap.

The cacl is diluted in some distilled water, and added after the milk is heated, stirring in well. Then the culture is added, and later, the rennet. (You can probably just add the CaCl before heating, too).

So with a 30 minute mozz recipe. I would add the citric acid while heating the milk up, after it is heated add the calcium chloride, mix well, and then add the rennet?

Easy enough. Thanks!

Just used the stuff. It helps - I didn't really need it, but it made the curd stand much more firmly which makes the whole process far easier. I strongly recommend using the salt additive.

- Calcium Chloride - 1 Pint #C14P

"Calcium Chloride is used with store bought milk and goats milk to give a firmer setting curd for easier cutting in the making of hard cheeses.

CONTAINS: 1 pint Calcium Chloride

YIELD: Each pint bottle contains enough Calcium Chloride to do approximately 768 gallons of milk.

DIRECTIONS: Using 1/8 teaspoon for each gallon of milk, dilute in 1/4c. water. Bring milk to proper temperature and add before adding your culture.

STORAGE: Store in a cool, dark place. Will last indefinitely if stored properly.

NOTE: Do NOT use Calcium Chloride when making Mozzarella. It will keep the curds from stretching."

Back