new AG brewer - ordering stuff for batch #4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leoglenwood

Reaction score
I wanted to buy English grain to emulate the Dogfish 60 or 90 minute beers

should I buy Marris Otter, the Fawcet Pale Optic (did I write that correctly?
or just use American 2 Row

what is British 2 Row

also - what hops would you use for the 90 minute, since amarillo isn't available to me right now - or Simcoe

I have some Summit, Warrior, and Glacier

thanks for dealing with the newbie query! much appreciated

Max in Medford, MA

Northern Brewer is out of Amarillo and has no Simcoe; can you recommend another site to order from?

Thanks for the response; I appreciate it a lot.

Thanks. I ordered the hops and some piloncillo sugar from the site. Northern Brewer.com is a lot more comprehensive, but your site had the hops and some really cool things for sale.
Thanks for the tip!

Austin Homebrew Supply

Austin Homebrew appears to have Simcoe in pellet and whole leaf, and Amarillo in pellets. They're a great shop, give them some business!

And for answers to all your brewing questions, check out this site, then buy his book, "How to Brew," it's the best:

How to Brew - By John Palmer

Good luck!

Another thing to note is that the main Homebrew shops out there such as AHS, B3, NB and MW are like the Home Depot of home improvement or the Walmart of ...... walmart. It is great if you need a lot of different things, but if I was just looking for hops I would go straight to the source such as Nikobrew on here or freshhops. I have learned to stay away from Home Depot when I buy lumber for example, they just can't compete with the local lumber yard with not only price, but selection.

Anyways, just some thoughts and by all means if AHS has good prices on some hops, go for it, but the last time I purchased from there it was only because I was already ordering other stuff.

I'll use those sites when I'm making a bulk order, but since I'm in TX, AHBS makes for a quick fix when the LHBS doesn't have what I need, and I don't need a lb of the hop in question. Good recommendation, though.

Back