Anyone else excited for Spring Training?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truble

Reaction score
Players reporting shortly, and a lot of offseason movement- Can't wait for Baseball!

BeeGee said:
Can't believe we're the only red blooded Americans on this board! ;) Could probably stir up a baseball vs. cricket discussion...

I hear that. I would've thought there would be more baseball fans here...warm summer night on the porch/deck listening to the game with a couple beers?

I usually prefer to listen rather than watch, though I do watch all games when we (Red Sox fan) play the Yankees, as you never know what is going to happen.

I find baseball to be drearily dull. There's simply not enough action or physical contact to keep me interested.

I view it as a "past time" rather than a sport... much like bowling, golf, billiards, darts, etc. (I'm sure I'll get flamed for this one, but that's how I feel about it.)

-walker

My grandmother passed down the tradition to my mother who in the early 70's passed down the tradition to me of watching every televised Braves game during the entire season. We used to wrap things up a lot earlier in the year before the 90's. Extra innings was my only guaranteed pass for getting to stay up past my bedtime.

I don't really have the time for it anymore, but I still watch a good bit. I listen to the Durham Bulls on the radio quite a bit, even though they're no longer affiliated with the Braves :mad:

Walker said:
I find baseball to be drearily dull. There's simply not enough action or physical contact to keep me interested.

I view it as a "past time" rather than a sport... much like bowling, golf, billiards, darts, etc. (I'm sure I'll get flamed for this one, but that's how I feel about it.)

-walker

To each his own. With any sport, the more you are exposed to it, the more exciting it is, I suppose. I think Hockey is weak, but there you go.

BeeGee said:
My grandmother passed down the tradition to my mother who in the early 70's passed down the tradition to me of watching every televised Braves game during the entire season. We used to wrap things up a lot earlier in the year before the 90's. Extra innings was my only guaranteed pass for getting to stay up past my bedtime.

I don't really have the time for it anymore, but I still watch a good bit. I listen to the Durham Bulls on the radio quite a bit, even though they're no longer affiliated with the Braves :mad:

Yeah. I have The Boston Red Sox, Pawtucket Red Sox, Lowell Spinners, and Portland Sea Dogs all in my neck o' the woods, so it is fun. I like going to the minor league (patwucket) games, as they are cheap, and you get to see a great game. Haven't been able to go much, but it is always enjoyable. Fenway is too expensive, so I normally just go to a couple games a year. I like sitting on the bac kdeck with the dogs and beers listening to the games.

Truble said:
To each his own. With any sport, the more you are exposed to it, the more exciting it is, I suppose. I think Hockey is weak, but there you go.

For me, the more I was exposed to baseball, the LESS exciting it was. I played all the way up to the time I was about 15 before I decided I couldn't stand it anymore.

-walker

Truble said:
Yeah. I have The Boston Red Sox, Pawtucket Red Sox, Lowell Spinners, and Portland Sea Dogs all in my neck o' the woods, so it is fun.
I had a friend who completed law school and was clerking in Providence who I went to visit. We caught Pawtucket one night and Boston the next...definitely a great baseball area! Glad I got to check Fenway off my list.

It's a nice place to visit, but having that park as your home park is tough. I was one of those who wanted the new park down on the waterfront. Politics prevented that. I do love seeing games there, but ergonomic it is not......and it is very expensive.

BeeGee said:
Can't believe we're the only red blooded Americans on this board! ;) Could probably stir up a baseball vs. cricket discussion...
Sorry guys...had to work a little this morning. :(

I'm pumped...kind of anyway. The yanks still don't have a pitching staff, but at least they'll have Sasquatch in center this year.

I am this year!

G5946A-med.jpg

And I'll just be glad to see Winter leave and Spring arrive!:)

BeeGee said:
I had a friend who completed law school and was clerking in Providence who I went to visit. We caught Pawtucket one night and Boston the next...definitely a great baseball area! Glad I got to check Fenway off my list.
My condolences on:

1) Your friend who went to law school. :(

2) Having to soil yourself by stepping foot into Fenway. :( :(

Seriously tho...how many major league parks have you hit?

El Pistolero said:

This from the Bronx??? Hello, Pot. Meet Kettle.:D As for JD, for 53M, you can have him. Would I have liked to keep him? Of course, for the right money. Sox are trying to think long term now, and I can't fault that. We have one of the stronger farm systems in baseball now, and it is paying off. Johnny wanted too much. I cannot fault a player for going for it, but I hate it when a player goes for more money, and then claims it was about respect. Very disingenuous, IMHO. Very Pedro.

El Pistolero said:
My condolences on:

1) Your friend who went to law school. :(

Seriously tho...how many major league parks have you hit?
I don't envy my buddy, but let's just say he has recently acquired a position at 36 years of age which will basically cruise him to retirement. He is, however, bald and gray at this point.

Going to Fenway was awesome! I don't have a dog in the NY/Boston fight so it was just history for me. It was also against the Yankees! I haven't been to a lot of parks, but so far:
Minor:
Five County (Carolina Mudcats)
DAP/DBAP (both Durham Bulls park...attended opening night at the DPAP)
Asheville Tourists
Pawtucket

Major:
Fulton Co/Turner Field
Arlington (Ameriquest now?)
Fenway
Pac Bell / San Francisco

Had an opportunity to hit Wrigley/Comiskey in the same day, but the stupid b1tc...nevermind. Not sure why I haven't been to Camden as it's < 6hrs and we have friends in DC. My brother lives in Seattle now and business may start carrying me that way a bit, so I'm hoping for that this summer.

Baseball is the only sport. My cousins from Texas and Wisconisn and I make a trip every year just to see a new ball park. Last year we did Washinton DC, Baltiomore and Philly. This year we're doing Detriot, Ciny and Cleavland.

Beer, Baseball and Brats. What could be better! Go Angels!

Mike's Brew and Brat said:
Baseball is the only sport.
Truer words were never spoken...anybody who doesn't agree can just kiss my grits! :D

Mike's Brew and Brat said:
Go Angels!
How can you root for a team that can't even figure out which town they play in? :confused:

Walker said:
For me, the more I was exposed to baseball, the LESS exciting it was. I played all the way up to the time I was about 15 before I decided I couldn't stand it anymore.

-walker

Plus, he couldn't stuff all his hair in the helmet.

loop

Living in AZ Spring season is always cool. Get to go to the minor league ball parks and see the big leagers up close and personal. White Sox and Diamond Backs practice/play 2 mile from where I work. Rockies about 5 miles away.

My Brewers (yes, they are mine :rolleyes:) in Phoenix. Went golfing with brewers shortstop JJ Hardy 3 weeks ago. Friends with his Uncle... He's from here.

desertBrew said:
Living in AZ Spring season is always cool. Get to go to the minor league ball parks and see the big leagers up close and personal. White Sox and Diamond Backs practice/play 2 mile from where I work. Rockies about 5 miles away.

My Brewers (yes, they are mine :rolleyes:) in Phoenix. Went golfing with brewers shortstop JJ Hardy 3 weeks ago. Friends with his Uncle... He's from here.

sweet. One of my brothers and one of my cousins do the Red Sox fantasy Camp every year, where you get to train and play with some of the retired big leaguers, and my dad has a place in FL that is close to some teams, though he can't go down this year due to some brain surgery that is preventing him from flying. Haven't been yet, but I am hoping to some day.

BeeGee said:
Could probably stir up a baseball vs. cricket discussion...
As in which is the most boring? Close one. I vote for a draw....;)

My Brewers (yes, they are mine :rolleyes:) in Phoenix. Went golfing with brewers shortstop JJ Hardy 3 weeks ago. Friends with his Uncle... He's from here

DesertBrew, I'd be jealous of that except that I hate golf. Now if you'd gone fishing........

I'm a Brewer fan too, and I'm fired up about this year. They cracked .500 last year(finally), and are going to do better this year. If they don't, well, as long as the Chubs and Yankees lose, I'll be OK.:D

Hard to get excited here. The Rockies are a perennial 100 loss team. The ownership insists on doing everything cheap. Their fan base has dropped by half because of their bone headed management style. They had a good thing going and blew it.
But you know.... Spring training is a good sign. Spring is just around the corner. :)
Good to know because it is about 12 degrees outside right now!

Barry Bonds indicated that he will retire after the '06 season. I say GOOD RIDDANCE. He's just a juiced-up, arrogant assclown.
Jeff

Wow, cant believe i missed this thread! I look forward to spring training more than any other time of the year. Though my Reds havent been contenders in quite some time i always get over excited since they usually start the season pretty good then fall off the globe. O well, maybe with the new owners we can finally right this sinking ship. I also enjoy going to my local Dayton Dragons games. They are a Reds Single A farm team that usaully does fairly well. Sometimes I think I'd rather go to a Dragons game than Reds, they just seem a whole lot more fun.

Hmmm.... generally I find sports kinda dull. However if I am there watching it live I seem to like it more. A friend took me to Chicaogo Wolves games. He was friends with the manager so we were always 3 inches from the glass. Things get a bit messy when your 3 inches from the glass. Hockey is a violent sport. The college I was at was big with Rugby. Another very violent sport.

For some reason I realy enjoyed car racing. Someone took me to a race track some years ago. It was not like NASCARR or something like that. It wa a small track, but I had a lot of fun. Was loud though. My wife did not care for the noise and I turned my aids off :) I am 3 miles from a Horse race track, but have never gone there. I have always wanted to goto a demolision derby or monster truck place, but have never gone.

Back