How long do malts last? crushed vs whole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keqwow

Reaction score
Just wondering how long malts last once you open the bag? How about if you crush a whole bag and have extra left over? Just wondering if one typically purchases an abundance and stores it, or does it lose flavor over time?

If you want to store grain you should get it unmilled. That will last for a lon g time if kept in an airtight container. Milled grains will go bad fairly quickly.

For what it's worth, the maltster at Briess gave an interview to Brew Strong in which he said that crushed grains don't go stale much faster than whole grains.

It's all about proper storage. I'd take two year old grain stored at proper moistures and temperatures over two month old grain stored improperly.

So what is the proper storage "moistures" and temperatures?

Thanks :) So just to be clear...in proper storage conditions what are we talking here...probably a couple of months max, without concern of quality loss?

More like a year or more. There are plenty of people who buy grain only once a year, and certainly the grain is often being stored that long or longer both before and after being malted.

That is good to know. I was just wondering basically if one has to buy 10 lb bags each time, or if you can buy in bulk, like a 50 lb grain bag and have it last long enough to brew over several months. This is good to know. Thanks guys!

Is that "year or more" after it gets unbagged and re-stored in an airtight container at my house or from the time it's bagged at the maltster?

jetmac said:
Is that "year or more" after it gets unbagged and re-stored in an airtight container at my house or from the time it's bagged at the maltster?

Overall, I suppose, though I wouldn't buy really old malt unless I was fairly sure of how it had been handled.

The "year or more" is meant to be a very general statement. Malt degrades over time, but only very slowly if kept in the right conditions. I would take three year old malt stored well over two month old malt stored poorly any day. In my experience, properly stored year-old malt is indistinguishable from much fresher malt even in side-by-side tests.

If your maltster, distributor, and LHBS is keeping the malt well, that's fine. Otherwise, I'd want to get it early so I could store it properly myself.

Malted grains can be stored for years with little loss in usefulness. At the least, keep it dry, airtight and dark. Something to be weary of if you are considering using stored malt is mold. If there is any hint at all of mold, be it by sight or smell or simple suspicion, toss it out. Ergot is nothing to mess with.

Back