The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getzinator said:
I guess it's my fault we all got off topic.

To get us back on topic:
I was at the pool last summer with some home brew, and my great-aunt-in-law's boyfriend tried one of my home brews (Imperial Blonde Ale, slightly heavy for a hot summer day). He said "I dunno about this... you know what I really miss? Bud Ice. Shame I haven't had it in a long while"
Me- "Bud Ice? I didn't know AB made an 'Ice' version of Bud?"
Him- "Oh no, no, no. I would take a large glass of Ice and fill it with Budweiser. Really set the flavor off."

I about dropped my bottle. Guy must not actually like any beer at all.

They do make bud ice and it's a 1$ for a 22 in the bodega on my corner. I've had and enjoyed many on hot summer nights on the stoop with friends when feeling lazy and cheap.

newb said:
You can probably thank breaking bad for the new found popularity for meth making haha since that show's debut I get these comments more and more.

I live in Albuquerque where its filmed and am a brand new brewer, but I have already gotten that comment from day 1!

I haven't actually seen the show so I don't know what their meth making equipment looks like. Does it really resemble a homebrew rig? Because people seeing my setup and going " this looks like breaking bad!" is becoming the #1 most frequent reaction I get anymore

The first few seasons of Breaking Bad used traditional lab equipment. Bunson burners and pyrex flasks and jars. Then he the cartel recruited him he had large stainless steel vessels. But at that point it looked like a full size chemical facility, not unlike something you would see at a 3M or DuPont facility. I guess for the casual observer its easiest thing that they can visually relate to.

Though I think on that show he harps sanitation as much as everyone in home brewing does.

this was nothing short of an uncalled for attempt to start an argument rather than an intelligent discussion If you really think a statement like that could accomplish anything constructive, then regardless of your brewing experience and knowledge, it seems you need help to be a better communicator. Next time approaching someone in a forum or maybe even in your face to face reactions with people (though I feel you probably aren't as condescending in the real world, because it is probably a lot easier to behave this way in a forum talking to someone states away you will never meet) about something you feel you know more about or have more expertise in, try to open with "I have been doing this for some time and have some expertise or insight to add here, your statement is wrong, or I disagree with your statement -Because- x,y, and z." This would be more effective than your approach, "yeah you're a newb." Followed by no explanation or anything This just comes off as you simply feel like name calling or tooting your own horn about your time brewing. It degrades from the forum for the person insulted and all others who have to read the poor conversation. With the former approach you will be more likely to actually be listened to, rather than just written off as a dbag. Unfortunately upon first seeing this statement I let myself get dragged in and responded just as poorly.

It was Brewer - with a capital B. Anyone can get brewer status, that's a piece of cake. Brewer status is only obtained once you've made a delicious american light lager. Good luck.

Ahhh with a capital B I see it now. It is a shame I will never obtain that at this rate because currently I don't like American light lagers, the same way some people don't like IPAs I guess. I do thank you though kind sir for wishing me luck, but as I don't enjoy them, I won't be brewing one any time soon. Maybe if my palate changes in a few years I will get into them though, who knows, so thanks for the wish of luck.

Anyway back on topic since we dropped that whole thing already...

My brother during a mash," it doesn't really smell like beer"

Ahhh with a capital B I see it now. It is a shame I will never obtain that at this rate because currently I don't like American light lagers, the same way some people don't like IPAs I guess. I do thank you though kind sir for wishing me luck, but as I don't enjoy them, I won't be brewing one any time soon. Maybe if my palate changes in a few years I will get into them though, who knows, so thanks for the wish of luck.

Anyway back on topic since we dropped that whole thing already...

My brother during a mash," it doesn't really smell like beer"

No worries I hate them too, but friends like it so I make it. All part of being a Brewer, I suppose. Best of luck.

My fresh hopped cascade ipa. "What, is this supposed to be like grapefruit juice or something?" Me "yeah... thats exactly what I was aiming for". Him "im not a fan of grapefriut juice. Too bitter"

Hey, at least he got some grapefruit notes and bitterness from the loads of fresh cascade. Got to give him a little credit.

Tiber_Brew said:
Ah yes, I've gotten the moonshine comments from people after seeing my (old) copper coil IC. Although, it did look a bit more suspicious than it really was...

I was arrested at college for this very thing. I lived on campus-assisted housing, and while i was out, the fire marshall came by to inspect my place. He reported to the police chief that I had stillage equipment. When I arrived home, I had seven policemen in my home and the chief of police was in my doorway (very small town). He greeted me with: "How long you been stilling in here?"

It took me 40 minutes with the help of an ABC agent and a northern brewer catalogue that my wife (then girlfriend) was nice enough to bring to the station to convince the chief to let me go and drop the charges.

I was arrested at college for this very thing. I lived on campus-assisted housing, and while i was out, the fire marshall came by to inspect my place. He reported to the police chief that I had stillage equipment. When I arrived home, I had seven policemen in my home and the chief of police was in my doorway (very small town). He greeted me with: "How long you been stilling in here?"

It took me 40 minutes with the help of an ABC agent and a northern brewer catalogue that my wife (then girlfriend) was nice enough to bring to the station to convince the chief to let me go and drop the charges.

Some people are just stupid. I mean really, my keggle and ic look nothing like a still, it has a freaking hose adaptor on it.

Wow. That is some monumental ignorance! Glad you got out of that one OK.

Wow that is gross like adding water to Scotch.

I'm slowly working my way through the beginnings of this thread from 5 years ago, but this quote right here goes to show the hypocrisy in a lot of these remarks about others being "uneducated" about beer.

Right here his Chris_Dog guy shows that he knows nothing about scotch, yet acts like he does. Maybe he just drinks Lauder's or something just as crappy, but it's very common for quality scotch drinkers to cut their scotch with water, which helps bring out the aromatics of the whiskey, along with a few other benefits.

Always do sober what you do drunk
11.jpg

I'm slowly working my way through the beginnings of this thread from 5 years ago, but this quote right here goes to show the hypocrisy in a lot of these remarks about others being "uneducated" about beer.

Right here his Chris_Dog guy shows that he knows nothing about scotch, yet acts like he does. Maybe he just drinks Lauder's or something just as crappy, but it's very common for quality scotch drinkers to cut their scotch with water, which helps bring out the aromatics of the whiskey, along with a few other benefits.

I can't wait to learn what else you find as you work your way through the thread. Please keep us updated.

If it's at least decent scotch, not so much as an ice cube will touch mine.
To each their own though.

I stand by my words from before... getting into an actual argument over beer (other than "hey give me my beer back!") is stupid.

I stand by my words from before... getting into an actual argument over beer (other than "hey give me my beer back!") is stupid.

I know you are. but what am I?

"I think I'm already drunk. This stuff is strong." after 2 sips of a 4.5% bitter. stronger than BL flavor doesn't mean higher alcohol, people!

Wow !
I was having fun here.
Who let the bummer in?
Not a criticizing kind of thread so I won't espouse further.
I don't usually chuckle at FART jokes but ever one was appropriate?
And yes , thought the peyote comment was a little politically incorrect.
It was funny!
Let's get back to funny responses from those whom don't get it.
That was me a year or so ago, lots of fun here since.
Have fun be merry and responsible.

My dad being a craft beer drinker is always eager to try my homebrew. Whenever I get the chance I bring him a sixer to leave I'm the fridge. Last time I was there I decided I was getting a beer and asked if he wanted one. He did so I brought it and a glass, opened and started to pour and he stopped me saying "no thanks it comes in a glass" I tried to warn him but who knows, maybe be likes the gas to gross my mom out

Zarusse2 said:
My dad being a craft beer drinker is always eager to try my homebrew. Whenever I get the chance I bring him a sixer to leave I'm the fridge. Last time I was there I decided I was getting a beer and asked if he wanted one. He did so I brought it and a glass, opened and started to pour and he stopped me saying "no thanks it comes in a glass" I tried to warn him but who knows, maybe be likes the gas to gross my mom out

I don't think your dad is much of a craft drinker if he doesn't like beer from the glass

Not related to someone drinking my beer but I swear SWMBO almost feinted when I told her I was going to brew an IPA. First thing out of her mouth was "better keep that s*** out in the garage". She's not a fan of the big boy hops. I usually only brew traditional UK and European ales.

As i was brewing outside one day, a neighbor walks up and introduces themselves,

Neighbor: " hey so whatcha making?"
Me: just brewing a little beer
Neighbor: " oh yeah? This is a crazy looking setup you've got here"
(i brew AG but i was flushing out all my hoses and plate chiller)
Me: yeah it looks a lot more complicated than it is, its actually a prety simply setup
Neighbor; " yeah, i mean it looks like you could be making meth and stuff with all these hoses and pots"
Me: ha ha, yeah i get that a lot, looks like it could be sometig illegal, but its just for beer ha ha
Neighbor: " yeah well you know, i mean, if it was meth, i wouldnt mind at all"

::::awkward silence ::::

At that point i just made it out i was super busy and couldnt talk much, didnt feel like going down that road

Haha, wow.

My cousin has been after me for months to bring him some homebrew. I finally gave him an American Wheat that he downed in no more than 2 mins, out of the bottle nonetheless, then he belched loudly and told me how good it was. How would he know? He just chugged the damn thing! Total waste of my carefully crafted homebrew.

WoolyBooger said:
My cousin has been after me for months to bring him some homebrew. I finally gave him an American Wheat that he downed in no more than 2 mins, out of the bottle nonetheless, then he belched loudly and told me how good it was. How would he know? He just chugged the damn thing! Total waste of my carefully crafted homebrew.

To the uninitiated this is how beer is downed ha ha. Have him out to your place some time and serve him. Pour the glass for him, even if he slams it, savor yours. Pour him another.. repeat this exercise several times. If he still doesn't get it? Well... sorry, you can choose your friends, can't choose your relatives :)

brew up an American BW and have him beer bong it.

Not stupid, but a funny/proud moment for me while listening to my oldest daughter defending me.

Me: I really like how this wit turned out. It's really good.

My wife (who only likes Lindemans) tries a sip: yuch! (And then actually dry heaves.)

My 3 year old daughter: Don't choke mommy! It's really good.

SWMBO's friend's mother was very complimentary of my beer, but had lots of questions about brewing. My favorite was, "Have you heard of international bitterness units?"

SWMBO's friend's mother was very complimentary of my beer, but had lots of questions about brewing. My favorite was, "Have you heard of international bitterness units?"

Was your reply "nah, I generally use IBUs." :D

Back