What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RauelDuke said:
This is definetly one of my favorites. Can't wait to try some more of theirs.

They're pretty much all great although I didn't care for Ephemere or Quelque Chose. La Fin, Maudite, Trois Pistoles, Blanche de Chambly, Terrible- all good.

They're pretty much all great although I didn't care for Ephemere or Quelque Chose. La Fin, Maudite, Trois Pistoles, Blanche de Chambly, Terrible- all good.

Don't forget those Vintage Ales they contract brew for Trader Joe's, not bad for $4.99

Flying Dog Garde Dog, don't remember exactly when I purchased it but probably late winter or early spring. Tastes...malty then metallic...not exactly what I remember. Still good malt character up front and a really crisp finish and quite good, but the flavor I am getting confuses me a bit.

On deck is Sculpin. Not sure when Ballast Point started distributing here but tonight is the first time I've seen it, and from what I've read here it should be a treat

dcHokie said:
Don't forget those Vintage Ales they contract brew for Trader Joe's, not bad for $4.99

Yea, it's been a couple years since I've had those. Moved to TX and we just got a TJ in Dallas a month ago. I've been keeping my eye out but none yet. I've also been watching for the Mission St Pale Ale they contract to Firestone but I haven't seen any of that out here either.

Apparently Unibroue has some great seasonals they keep close to home. I need to pay that place a visit at some point.

Homebrew IPA. I'm very pleased with how clear it's become in the bottle. It was my first time using gelatin, so I thought I had messed it up, but I guess not.

20121110_215521.jpg

20121110_215544.jpg

I had a Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout earlier. It was kind of like a Mouthwash Imperial Stout, but it was pretty darn good at the same time. I liked it better than I thought I was going to.

Just tried this Lindemans Faro in the hopes that it wasn't as sweet as I'd heard. Unfortunately, its shamefully sweet, a real waste.

View attachment 83375

A faro is, by definition, a sweetened lambic. Lindemans already considerably sweetens their lambics, so it shouldn't be surprising that they sweeten the hell out of the faro, too.

All that being said, their Cuvee Rene isn't too bad.

Stone..lucky bastard..
Wow! Hard to described the taste, but its awesome complex beer...
Btw, its regular bastard, oaked bastard, and double bastard...

ForumRunner_20121110_195746.png

A faro is, by definition, a sweetened lambic. Lindemans already considerably sweetens their lambics, so it shouldn't be surprising that they sweeten the hell out of the faro, too.

All that being said, their Cuvee Rene isn't too bad.

Oh I knew what to expect with Faro, and I had very low expectations given that Lindemans backsweetens most everything, but this one is just gross. One note, sugary sweetness. Taste like 99% Cream Soda with 1% vinegar, I guess I should've said a waste of the base beer lambic.

Long day of beer tasting...... Nuke, we tried your version of BadFish IIPA, very tasty, insanely drinkable, nice job!!! Topping the tasting off with an appropriate Heady Topper. Yum!

So glad you enjoyed it! I wish I could have a Heady Topper of my own, but it will have to wait until I get a chance and the funds to make the nine hour round trip to Burlington.

I had some Balvenie Double Cask (12 years). It's not beer, yes, but that also means it isn't Bud Light. Scotch is wonderful, in that respect. So is the tumbler of sparkling water I had, as well.

Waiting for secondary fermentation to end is unpleasant, to say the least. Thankfully, it ends a week from Monday.

I had some Balvenie Double Cask (12 years). It's not beer, yes, but that also means it isn't Bud Light. Scotch is wonderful, in that respect. So is the tumbler of sparkling water I had, as well.

Waiting for secondary fermentation to end is unpleasant, to say the least. Thankfully, it ends a week from Monday.

Nothing wrong with enjoying a nice glass of scotch. Sometimes that's just what you're in the mood for. I keep a decanter of scotch around for just such an occasion.

Hop in the Dark.. I know a lot of people like this, but I dislike Chinook hops an this reeks of then. Harsh and soapy.

image-1039622404.jpg

Hop in the Dark.. I know a lot of people like this, but I dislike Chinook hops an this reeks of then. Harsh and soapy.

It's been a very long time since I've had this one, but while I don't remember using the word 'soapy' to describe it, I do agree that it was a bit harsh. Probably why I haven't picked it up again.

whoaru99 said:
Sierra Nevada Narwhal.

May have to get more of this and put some away.

I got to try some before it was released and I'm a huge fan. I'm sure some age would do this one right.

Vanilla Pumpkin Lager, recipe courtesy of ghpeel. I freaking love gelatin. I haven't had a brew yet on which it hasn't vastly improved the clarity. Used to be even for a light colored beer I couldn't see through it. Now, I can make out things behind the beer. Yeah, I know the pic looks just like the IPA and the Badfish, but I just can't get over how clear these beers are coming out.

20121111_001645.jpg

20121111_001720.jpg

nukebrewer said:
Vanilla Pumpkin Lager, recipe courtesy of ghpeel. I freaking love gelatin. I haven't had a brew yet on which it hasn't vastly improved the clarity. Used to be even for a light colored beer I couldn't see through it. Now, I can make out things behind the beer. Yeah, I know the pic looks just like the IPA and the Badfish, but I just can't get over how clear these beers are coming out.
I've been loving it too. I've been doing gelatin in a secondary and cold crashing for two weeks, bottling and you can pour every last drop out of the bottle and still clear. Just a slight film of yeast on the bottom. No more of this telling people "uhh hey you may not want to pour out the last bit of beer". Almost like Sierra Nevada.

SN Celebration, I had to get some after hearing the raves on this forum. It is a solidly good beer.

I just had a SN Northern Hemisphere. It was just ok. I don't think I'm real crazy on fresh hopped beers. I actually think they are better after drying.

I just had a SN Northern Hemisphere. It was just ok. I don't think I'm real crazy on fresh hopped beers. I actually think they are better after drying.

I think they are highly variable. I have had great ones from Russian River and Port Brewing but didn't like the one you had or one I tasted at Lagunitas. Like everything else: some work, some don't

Brewitt said:
I think they are highly variable. I have had great ones from Russian River and Port Brewing but didn't like the one you had or one I tasted at Lagunitas. Like everything else: some work, some don't

I'll have to keep an eye out for RR's one next year. Haven't had anything of there's I didn't like.

Why are there so few "homebrews" being drank? LOL Is it out of season or something. this is a pic of a "small" pale ale I made for a female friend that says my homebrew gets her drunk. This is second runnings and is a bit less than 3%abv. Great taste, suprised me.

P5280069.jpg

They are very different, but there's some good one's. If you can still find it, the Deschutes Chasin' Freshies and Hop Trip are really good. Surly Wet was off the chain, didn't last two weeks in stores. Schell's Citra Pils is really good too. Some other's are kinda weird and vegetal though. Brau Bros. made on this year that was really gross.

So glad you enjoyed it! I wish I could have a Heady Topper of my own, but it will have to wait until I get a chance and the funds to make the nine hour round trip to Burlington.

It was really good. Thanks again.

I had a growler each of Sierra Nevada Narwhal and RJ Rockers Rockhopper this weekend...needless to say, the weekend was very unproductive. That Narwhal is very nice, the Rockhopper is just OK, but I got it at a good price so no complaining.

...working on the next to last pint of Rockhopper at the moment.

View attachment 83446

Starting the afternoon off with Two Hearted. I haven't picked any of this up for a while, but I made the clone 2 weeks ago, so I figured I would need a few for comparison.

I had heard many good things about that beer but can't get it here. I finally got to try it in Chicago while I was on a 3 hour layover. Pretty damn good beer there.

Back