Opinions on secondary regulators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie_Man

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I'm getting my parts together for a three tap kegerator build. I don't really know a lot of the differences between these three secondary regulators. I'm looking for a regulator that will do its job and last a long time. I've read a few other posts where people seem to really like the micromatic brand regulators. What I don't understand is what the benefits are to those regulators. What would I gain by spending the extra money on one of the bottom two regulators (#2-3 micromatic) versus the taprite(#1)? Thanks in advance for help.

1. http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...683ST_three_product_secondary_regulator.shtml
2. http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...33_economy_secondary_co2_beer_regulator.shtml
3. http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf..._3_product_secondary_co2_beer_regulator.shtml

I'm VERY happy with my dual body Taprite regulator. I question your actual need to get any of the items you listed. IMO you're better off with a dual body regulator and one or two manifolds. Unless you're going to be serving styles that demand far different pressures, you'll not see any advantage from the items you listed.

I do have my regulator feeding two manifolds (a two and a three port). This allows me to easily feed the desired pressure level to any of the four kegs in my brew fridge. Such as 12-14psi for my ales and 8-10psi for my porters and such.

Thanks for the reply. My thought on the secondary regulator is that I brew a lot of different beer styles. I'm also pretty particular about the carbonation level in my beer.

With the type of setup you described, could I have a stout, a wheat beer, and an IPA all at their proper carbonation level? Could I have one beer force carbonating with a wheat and a stout tapped?

Chances are, the IPA and wheat beer would be fine at the same CO2 PSI level. You can have the stout at a lower pressure set. If you're only going to have three kegs in the brew fridge/keezer/etc. then you'd only need one manifold with a dual body regulator. Just decide if you're going to set it in the low or high range and go from there.

I also keep my CO2 tank, and regulator, outside the brew fridge. That allows me to better track gas levels, and pressures. It also saves me space inside the brew fridge. There's no way the 20# tank I currently have connected would fit, AND allow me to have four kegs in the fridge. It's a tight fit even with a 5# tank. I simply drilled a pair of holes through the side of the fridge and installed gas bulkheads to pass through. I'm thinking about adapting the outside of the bulkheads so that I can use gas QD's there instead of the threaded connection.

Thanks Golddiggie. Anyone else have opinions about the need for secondary regulators, or the difference regulators listed above?

I subscribed. I have been wondering the same thing. I am building an 8 keg setup and don't know if it is worth the price for secondary regulators or just get manifolds. Maybe two regulators with manifolds?

I subscribed. I have been wondering the same thing. I am building an 8 keg setup and don't know if it is worth the price for secondary regulators or just get manifolds. Maybe two regulators with manifolds?

Biggest question would be how many different pressure levels will you NEED to feed the kegs? If you're not talking about at least a 2-4 psi difference between at least some of the kegs, then a single body regulator, with manifold(s) will do the job. If you can go with two pressure ranges (like I do) then a dual body regulator, and two manifolds, will do the job just fine. IF you actually 'need' three pressure sets for your kegs, I wouldn't get a secondary regulator. IMO, a regulator with another body would be a better idea (a three body regulator). I would also seriously advise keeping the CO2 tank (and regulator) outside of the brew fridge/kegorator/keezer. You can easily install gas bulkheads to pass the feed through to the kegs. It also gives you more space for beer kegs inside. :rockin: Plus, it makes changing the CO2 tank much easier (IMO/IME) and you don't need to open the brew fridge/etc in order to do it.

Golddiggie - If I understand your setup correctly, do you have something like this coming off your CO2 tank, http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...T1672ST_two_product_secondary_regulator.shtml, then you have two manifolds similar to this one, http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...f_1742_aluminum_two_way_air_distributor.shtml, that hook up to your kegs?

Or do you need a primary regulator, then the dual body, then the manifolds?

Also, with the manifolds, are the levers simply on/off, or can you use the levers to throttle the CO2?

Sorry for the noob questions :mug:

This is my regulator, on the CO2 tank, that feeds the manifolds in my brew fridge.

I then have one of these (2 port) and one of these (three port) manifolds inside the brew fridge feeding the kegs. I'm also using two of these bulkheads to send the gas through the wall of the fridge. Since I also have the adapters that can go onto the 1/4" MFL ends, I'm thinking about putting gas ball lock posts onto the outside of the bulkheads. It would make disconnecting the gas lines easier in the future. I probably won't do it for a while, if I do it at all, though.

Back