Keezer - Hatch Lift Supports/Casters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spritar

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to build a Jester ripoff. I just picked up a new 8.8cft Kenmore freezer. Now I'm just starting to gather the various materials. I've seen mention of using Lift Supports (I believe in Jester's original post). Has anyone tried this yet? I've been looking around on-line for weight ratings but so far haven't been able to find anything. Additionally, I found that a good deal of the supports fail in cold weather. I finally found the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/StrongArm-4280-Universal-Extended-Support/dp/B000GBGNO0?tag=5336612404-20

Any thoughts on how these might work? I'm not sure on the weight of a coffin lid but I imagine it would be close to a car lift gate.

Also, I'm trying to figure out what casters to get without getting shelling out $12 each for a 4" caster (even though they look better than the 2" ones I currently have). I'll be rolling it on low profile surfaces (when it gets rolled at all). Any thoughts on full weight of a Jester-style keezer? I'm estimating 5 kegs at approx 50lbs each. Then I have the freezer at approx 125. My casters are rated at 125lbs each. Will I be taxing them beyond usefulness? My rough estimate of the coffin lid at around 100lbs puts me right at their limits.

Back