HERMS build, some electrical questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
I am planning on building a herms system. Wanted some input on my controls:

RANCO ETC 24V

Honeywell VR8300A Continuous Pilot Combination Gas Control

Electrical Ratings:
Voltage and Frequency: 24 Vac, 50/60 Hz.
Current Draw: 0.70A.​

Honeywell 36 in. Lead Length Universal Gas Thermocouple

purchased at home depot​

Honeywell Q314A4586 - Pilot Burner for Natural or LP Gas

Do I need any other supplies to get a simple HERMS built? For the electricians out there, do the supplies I listed above work together electrically?

This is my understanding of a HERMS system from my reading, please let me know if I am way off:

So I lite the pilot, then I will set the RANCO to a certain temperature. The Ranco temp probe will be in my HLT. When the temperature in the HLT drops below the set temperature, the Ranco will send a signal to the gas control valve, opening the valve. The pilot light ignites the gas and the butner is lit. Once the water in the HLT heats back up to the preset temperature, the Ranco sends a signal to close the valve, the burner is extinguished but the pilot is still lit. This happens throughout the mash as a march pump recirculates the wort through a copper coil submerged in the HLT.

Any ideas are appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
You've got the HERMS idea just fine there.

You are going to need a 24VAC power supply for this thing, though. that Ranco controller requires 24V supply. You can't directly plug it into the wall and use it.

Thanks Walker, this is something I over looked.
If i went with the RANCO controller with an input voltage of 120V then I would not need to buy the tranformer, but then I would need to get a gas control valve that has the same 120V input, which I am having trouble finding. Is this correct?

Basically, yes. If you cannot find everything meant for operation at 120V, then you are going to need a transformer SOMEWHERE. You can convert to 24V at the start and then drive the ranco and valves with that, or buy the 120V ranco, but put the transformer between the ranco and the valve.

Latest posts

Back