Vetting First Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewskie

Reaction score
Okay this is the first one I've come up with so have at it and let me know what looks good or where I messed up. Thanks everyone.

Oatmeal Bacon Stout

90 Boil

Partial Mash 60 minutes at 150 Sparge 10 minutes at 170

8 oz Black Malt
8 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz Flaked Oats
8 oz Flaked Barley
4 oz Roasted Barley
4 oz Peat Malt

Boil 90 minutes

Pale LME 8 lbs 90 minutes

Hops

Fuggles 2 oz 60 minutes
Fuggles 2 oz 5 minutes

primary 14 days
Secondary 21 days(here is where I would bake the bacon and dry it in paper towel and crumble to use and dry hog to taste)

thoughts? Am I missing something, does something not fit? Do I need to toast the oats?

Have you ever used peat malt? I just ask because it has a distinct taste and if you've never had it, 4 ounces will be an awful lot.

You don't need a 90 minute boil with that recipe. 60 minutes is plenty.

For your mash, you'll need some base malt to convert the oats. You don't have a partial mash recipe there, as you don't have any base malt. Maris otter, US two-row, etc, is needed. Right now you have a steeping grains recipe, so you are either going to have to add some base malt, or cut down the time and do a steep.

I've never used bacon in a beer, so I'll defer to someone else on that.

No haven't use peat, wanted some of the flavor but could I reduce to 1 oz? Also thanks for the 60 minute tip.

No haven't use peat, wanted some of the flavor but could I reduce to 1 oz? Also thanks for the 60 minute tip.

My preferred amount would be 0- it tastes really awful. So I'm probably not a good one to ask!

Except I did have one beer that Vintage Brewing Company did called "Wheaty Peaty" and it had some peat malt and it was alright.

I would think the oil in the bacon would kill any chance of a head. You might want to try a flavoring ingredient instead of real bacon.

I have zero experience with this but here's a likely product:
http://www.torani.com/products/bacon-syrup

To tell you the truth, I love bacon in everything. However, bacon beer might be a step too far. To each his own though. I'll be interested in the results.

I would think the oil in the bacon would kill any chance of a head. You might want to try a flavoring ingredient instead of real bacon.

I have zero experience with this but here's a likely product:
http://www.torani.com/products/bacon-syrup

To tell you the truth, I love bacon in everything. However, bacon beer might be a step too far. To each his own though. I'll be interested in the results.

Midfielder5 did a dryhogged beer. It was a brown ale, and quite good actually. You could send her a message and ask her how she did it. I didn't ask, but I drank it with gusto!

Yoop:
Awesome, that is why I try not poopoo anyones ideas too much. I'll try anything once, even if it sounds terrible. I've only been really wrong once--sea urchin eggs are gross.

OP:
You're way outside my experience zone but I don't think you can build a head after oil has been added. However, since Midfielder5 has done it, I would ask her.

BTW:
A bacon beer that tastes good would be a way cool topic with my co-workers. We've already done bacon cookies and bacon ice cream, why not go for bacon beer.

What about the basic recipe as an oatmeal stout recipe minus the peat? Anything else I should add or subtract?

Rauch malt tastes like bacon to me (non peat variety). I'm not a fan of black malt as it is a bit harsh to me.

Back