Brewday 2/27

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
Brewday has started, so far all is going good. Got strike water heating up and have measured out salt additions and crushed grains.... its gonna be a good day!

thank goodness i went ahead and filled the second tank cause my first propane tank just went dry... boy that would have sucked!

I'm mashing as we speak! It's hovering around 30 degrees here! I'm brewing a sweet stout. I heated my MLT with 170 degee water, but it wasn't enough, it only came to 161. Added some 190 degree water to bring temps up then doughed in. Mash was a bit thin, but I'll just lessen the 2nd sparge.

Hope everyone has a good brew day!

On the boil. Man the foam got high when I added the hops! How does the foam control tablets work? I've read a lot of people having good luck with them. Maybe I'll pick some up next time.

Brewing Muncher's Nierra Sevada Ale today. I'm in the last minutes of the Boil getting ready to turn on the chiller. Missed my Mash temp and then I went against one of my Golden Rules. Also, on my 2nd batch sparge, I got up in the 174 degree mark. So far, it's been a ho hum brew day. I haven't had one of these in years... :(

In the fermenter and all cleaned up. Ended up with 82.5% efficiency, according to Brewsmith! I'm still not all that clear on the difference between brewhouse efficiency and efficiency into boiler. My efficiency into the boil was 71%. I know that relates to my conversion somehow, but why is my efficiency going into the fermenter higher than the percentage of conversion?

All done here also. 91% Efficiency into the Carboys and 96% into the Kettle. I have yet to hit those kind of Numbers. I always hover right around the 80-88% range into the carboys. :ban:

I joined the exploding carboy club today, no worries it had no beer in it, just soapy water and it only fell about 2 inches so it wasn't bad to clean up. A quick mad dash to the LHBS store and back in business. Only lost 45 mins and 40 bucks! :drunk:

I joined the exploding carboy club today, no worries it had no beer in it, just soapy water and it only fell about 2 inches so it wasn't bad to clean up. A quick mad dash to the LHBS store and back in business. Only lost 45 mins and 40 bucks! :drunk:

DUDE!!! Be careful with these ****ing carboys! Exploding carboys are no joke. Glad you're ok Brau!!! Just as an FYI, I have had the same Carboys for over 17 years, and knock on Wood, no issues. That exploding Glass will kill your ass.

Glad no one was hurt with the exploding carboys today.

I did a no-chill Pale Ale a few hours ago:
8lb Marris Otter + 1lb Munich + 60z Crystal 80
WGV (whitbread golding variety) hops (6 AA%)
1oz @ 60, 1oz @ 20, 2oz @ Dry
US-05, 1.058 (84% efficiency) (5 gal)

It's cooling in my no-chill cube now. God I love no-chill. My brew day is around 3 hours now, and half the mess.

Latest posts

Back