Raspberry Wheat...should I dry hop it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hello,

I made 10g AG Raspbery Wheat. At the 10min and 1 minute boil I added 1 oz cascade each (in a bag) time for basic aroma. It is my buddy's recipe so I decided to do it his way. I am really starting to enjoy IPA's more and more. I was wondering what it would taste like to add 1 oz of cascade whole leaf to the each corney when I keg it Tuesday to finish it's secondary. What do you guys think...good or bad idea?

Also, since my corney's get force carbonated then straight to the kegerator do you think the whole leaf hops will CLOG the liquid pickup tube?

Thanks
Joe

Think I would have left the Cascade alone with a fruit flavored wheat.

I haven't used whole hops before but I would think could get away with putting it in the corney.

Belive it or not he refined the recipe over 20 batches and perfected it...it is really great as is.

I wanted to try something new since I have some cascade whole leaf lying around that I wanted to use.

My main concern really is having it clog the fluid pickup tube and ofcourse f'ing up the taste.

Anyone else?

Thanks

I should watch what I say. I've been working on a couple pounds of Cascade for sometime and find myself using them where ever possible. They just don't want to go away.

They are multiplying in the freezer...what else do they have to do while they wait?

Whole hops loose will clog the diptube unless you have a surescreen or stainless scrubbie at the end of the tube.

I've read about dry hopping in the cask with whole hops and I've heard JZ talk about dry hopping with pellets in the corney. The logic with the pellets they settle to the bottom get sucked out with the first couple pints.

I haven't doe either one, just throwing it out there.

I don't know about the clogging issue, but I would not dry hop a fruit beer. Seems kind of redundant? Why put the fruit in there if you're covering it with hop character?

I know this is a bit off topic but, would you possibly post the recipe, I was looking for a good raspberry wheat.

Personally I wouldnt.. i woulda changed the recipe so to boil the first ounce at 60 minutes and the second ounce at 2. IMO the hops would take away from the raspberry flavor/aroma that is the whole point of a raspberry wheat. If you wanted a good hoppy smelly beer i would try an orange flavored wheat or something that would play to the aromas flavors of the cascade hops. .. but thats just my 2 cents.

Back