Does it really matter???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfgolfer

Reaction score
If I still have like 3 bubbles or so a minute in primary, if I now rack to secondary?? I'm not bottling yet, so I wont have any bottle bombs. I mean, its still going to sit for another 2 weeks, so can I do it now?? and the F.G. has been about the same for a few days but still getting some bubbling.. thanks.

There's a small risk that you might get a stuck fermenation by moving off the yeast cake, so unless you really need the primary right away, I'd leave it. There's no benefit to be gained by racking now.

I'd personally wait until about 1 bubble per minute before I'd rack. When you rack, your going to get some more bubbling activity anyway when the remaining yeast gets stirred around.

Keep in mind that the purpose of the secondary is to allow the last of the suspended sediment and yeast to fall out of solution to clear your beer. I like to have most of the fermentation activity completed so that i rack a minimal amount of sediment into the secondary. That being said, there's really no good reason to rush it, and all good reasons to wait.

thanks for all your feedback!! I'll just wait then. It's been a long fermentation, today is day 12.

t
today is day 12

Wait until you do your first barley wine. Mine fermented over two months and even after kegging, it carbonated without any priming sugar.

I generally transferred after primary fermentation, when the yeast head started to break up and settle. I would say that you are done with primary fermentation if you are only getting 3 burps a minute. I personally like to get it off the primary sediment soon then later. This is more of a concern about break material and other trub, then yeast. But different folks do different things! Don't worry, relax, so on and so forth.

Back