how much DME to add? more quick help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Another frantic post...

I just took a gravity reading of my post mini-mash liquor - it didn't seem very sweet and only had an SG of 1.030.

I'm doing a 2.5 gallon boil and want to make a 4 or 5 gallon batch.

How much DME do I need to get a OG of ~1.046 in the fermenter? I don't have time to do the math...any help?

Add a cup or so, stir well, take OG. If it is where you want it, good, if not add more repeat.. Sorry just did a search on a calculator but couldn't come up with anything useful.

I want to say that for a 5 gallon batch you would need about 6.5lbs of LME to get close to your 1.045. Or at least that is what has come with kits I have bought with similar OG.

Not sure if this helps, but it will get you through in a pinch.

Another thought is a big problem with partial boils is you never it get it completely mixed so your OG comes out low. This may be what is happening to you?

I haven't added any extract yet - it's the gravity of the 2.5 gallon mash liquor. This is pre-extract, pre-dilution to 5 gallon!

I'm just estimating, but 1 pound DME in 1 Gallon gives about 1.040.

So, 5 pounds in 5 gallons gives 1.040.
So, about 8 points per pound. (in a 5 gallon batch)

You have about equivalent of 3-1/2 pounds in your wort.

I'd add 2 pounds and call it good.

NOTE: I frequently use Tastybrew.com's calculators.
Try the gravity calculator, enter 5 gallons with 3 lbs of extract, then nudge it up a bit.

Good luck

I'm just estimating, but 1 pound DME in 1 Gallon gives about 1.040.

So, 5 pounds in 5 gallons gives 1.040.
So, about 8 points per pound. (in a 5 gallon batch)

You have about equivalent of 3-1/2 pounds in your wort.

I'd add 2 pounds and call it good.

NOTE: I frequently use Tastybrew.com's calculators.
Try the gravity calculator, enter 5 gallons with 3 lbs of extract, then nudge it up a bit.

Good luck

Thanks. I actually added just about 3lbs and hit an OG of 1.048. Perfect. I was originally planning on adding about that amount, but this was the first time I took a mash reading - and the only reason I did so was because when I tasted the mash it didn't taste as sweet as I thought it would. So I started freaking out.

Thanks again everyone! :mug:

Back