KC brewpubs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crayfish

Reaction score
Going to Kansas City this week for work and would like to hit a brewpub of possible. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.:mug:

You might try 75th Street Brewery. I haven't been there myself but I've heard some good things and their beers seem to get decent ratings on beer advocate. Boulevard Brewing Company, which is a brewery not a brewpub, is in KC and I did the brewery tour and tasting last January. Pretty standard brewery tour with a one hour all you care to drink tasting afterward.

I do not recommend River Market... I've heard they used to be good... but then I heard they switched head brewers? I was not impressed with their beers, when I visited in July. Their porter and cream stout tasted identical. I didn't like their pale ale either.

But. ABSOLUTELY VISIT McCoy's Public House in the Westport district. They have excellent beer and fantastic food. Their Hog Pound Brown Ale is really tasty, and their Raspberry Wheat is uncharacteristically good for a fruited beer. Try the seasonal, too.

Also - If you want to take the Boulevard tour, be warned it's usually booked a couple weeks in advance - or at least in the summer, it was. You can book a time on their website, I think they do daily.

+1 on heading over to FreeState. Definitely worth it. Least it was, gosh, 7 years ago? :eek:

River Market, is that still open? Chriso, I do not know if/when they were good. I was never impressed. Maybe it was in the past 7 years.

Can't believe I never made it to the Boulavard tour. Saturday mornings were usually recovery time... :drunk:

We were talking about RMBC over in the KC Brewers group... Yeah, they're still open... I wouldn't bother though. The burger wasn't great, the fries sucked, and the beer was barely passable. I would've rather had Guinness.
Used to have a brewer named Brian Reinike that was a serious world class brewer. He got too expensive for the new owner and moved on. I found out today that the guy there is only using EKG in all his beers. Just not right.

Never made it to FreeState though. I'll keep that on my list for next time I drive through.

Try McCoy's in Westport. Next door is the foundry which has a great beer selection. Really good beer. If you downtown go to Saucers, Lots of great beer to choose from

Try McCoy's in Westport. Next door is the foundry which has a great beer selection. Really good beer. If you downtown go to Saucers, Lots of great beer to choose from

To clarify: The Foundry *is* McCoy's ... McCoy's is the pub-style eatery, and The Foundry is the nightclub-style bar. The Foundry serves McCoy's beers, as well as a (PHENOMENAL) selection of other micros, imports, and whatnot.

Here's their beer list: http://www.foundrykc.com/beer.cfm .. they even serve Schafly's beer from STL. They've got a good spread of Belgians, even a Flanders red. Also they serve Bell's beers. Hard to find in the midwest. They even have an imported German Kolsch (and Schafly's Kolsch too.)

I would also make getting out to Free State a priority. After that 75th street brewery is definitely worth hitting up and then McCoy's if you have time. I am not sure where you are coming from but our flying saucer just opened up in the new Power and Light district. It is a great place with a good amount of excellent beers.

At Gordon Biersch now. Gonna head to the Saucer in a bit!

Work schedule is gonna prohibit me from driving anywhere. Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions though. Next time...

Latest posts

Back