Help stabilizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuel

Reaction score
Hello, I Got a batcch of welchs concentrate and it has stop bubblinglong as i can track! Do campden tablets work for stabilization or do i need potassium sorbate?

I use both ONLY when I plan to backsweeten. If you just want to stabilize, then campden alone is fine. :)

When you add the k-meta and sorbate back to the must, (and when adding sugar or concentrate to sweeten) do you just stir it in? Will stirring it create any oxidation issues?

Thanks,
BH:confused:

When you add the k-meta and sorbate back to the must, (and when adding sugar or concentrate to sweeten) do you just stir it in? Will stirring it create any oxidation issues?

Thanks,
BH:confused:

You rack the wine into the dissolved k-meta and sorbate. Then let it sit for 3-5 days. Then the wine can be sweetened.

Remember that this only works when the wine is completely clear and no longer dropping any new lees, as neither kill the yeast but sorbate inhibits yeast reproduction. If there are zillions of yeast in the wine (well, maybe an exaggeration, but a lot anyway :D), then the sorbate will not do anything since the yeast don't have to reproduce to ferment.

Per jack Keller's web site "There are over 150 billion yeast cells in a 5-gram packet of Lallemand yeast." so you aren't that far off :)

You know, I have never given it that much thought! Wow.

I'm visualizing my last batch as I racked it, and comparing it to those small packages of yeast....

Back