Beersmith 2 & Bottling sugar questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
My last batch of beer was severely overcarb'ed and I don't want that to happen with the batch that I have lagering on my porch. When I look at Beersmith, which I used for this recipe, it says to use 4.32 oz of corn sugar. This sounds about right, but when I adjust the measured bottling volume I expect that amount to change with it but it doesn't, and this makes me suspicious. If I adjust the carb level it will change the sugar qty, as expected, but why doesn't bottling volume come into the picture?

There is also the carbonation tool, which takes carb level, temp, and batch size and that does work, but gives me a different answer than 4.32, more like 3.59.

Which of those answers would you use?

I always used 5 oz as a standard, but that last batch had 6, and it was slightly undersized too, so I've got foam, lots of foam. I'll go with 4 this time.

Maybe I should just start kegging...

Priming rates at bottling is temperature sensitive. The highest temperature that your beer rested at after high krausen is what you should use. The reason for this is because colder beer has the ability to hold more CO2 in solution. Typically I hear about these over carbing tales frOm folks who normally do ales but have recently started lagers and did not adjust their priming practices and reduce the sugars. Palmer has a good chapter explaining this and if I can find it I know there is a good calculator online for getting your priming right based on the temp.

Back