Brewpubs/Brewery NC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude123

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am going to be in Durham starting July 3rd until the end of August. I am from MA so I don't know anything about the beer scene in Durham. Can anyone give me any places or beer to try out?

-Matt

I hate that you haven't gotten more responses. I'm not from Raleigh but those are 2 of the places I've been that have a lot of craft brews.

sam's blue light is the best beer store in the state. very shady looking but awesome selection. you can even have a pint while you shop now.
http://samsquikshop.com/

busy bee in raleigh is a great bar with an excellent craft selection.
http://busybeeraleigh.com/
raleigh times is a great bar with an excellent craft selection.
http://www.raleightimesbar.com/
tylers in durham has a great selection
http://www.tylerstaproom.com/restaurants/durham
homebrew store in raleigh is affiliated with this bar
http://brewmastersbarandgrill.com/

The pourhouse in raleigh can be a neat place to catch some music at night. They have a lot of average beers.

Natty Green is boring average run of the mill beer. Not even worth going if you are local. :)

big boss in raleigh taproom is alright.
http://bigbossbrewing.com

The best breweries in the state are Duck Rabbit, Mother Earth and Pisgah. You can't get Pisgah in the Raleigh/Durham area. It is probably the best.

There is also a pretty good microbrewery scene in the area. Fullsteam, carolina brewing, avaitor, tirangle brewing, lonerider, Natty Greene's, and roth. I thikn I named the major ones.

There is an unofficial group of homebrewers here, if you want a meet up time with some of us just say so.

Nattys in Greensboro has gotten wayyyy better recently. Lots of one offs on tap. Not sure if that's the case in raleigh as well.

Dont forget Boylan Bridge. Most of the breweries offer free tours on the weekend and they are allowed to give out samples in North Carolina. Some give more samples than others. Let us know when you get here and I am sure we can round up quit a few.

Also new in Durham is Bull City Burger and Brewery. The beer scene here really has been blowing up and there are a ton of homebrewers in the area as well.

You have to check out Fullsteam in Durham, have a sweet potato beer and admire the build

If you're in Durham, you have to check out Full Steam and especially Triangle Brewing- they are really great. All of our local breweries offer great tours/tastings- check their websites. +1 on Sam's. Super shady looking, but name something cool that isn't. Durham has a good food scene- check out the Federal or any place down in the Brightleaf area. Hell, you can even get local craft brews at the Durham Bulls Ball Park- there are a few good bars around there too. Have fun, but watch your back!

This is where I will be staying:

1800 Southpoint Crossing Drive | Durham, North Carolina 27713

I am told it is the oakwood apartments across from a mall or something.

My transportation will be limited as I will not have a car down there so is there anything close to there? Or is there a bus that I could take to meet up with people somewhere?

I've stayed in those apartments, the closest place to drink where you can walk will be a Ruby Tuesday. As for public transportation I think it is terrible in the area, but I may be biased coming from a bigger city. There is a bus stop right in front of one of the entrances to the of the apartment area. The bus route is route 7, It should take you into downtown Durham, from there you can get to some good bars on foot. Check out the DATA website: http://www.gotriangle.org/transit/data-schedules-maps/ for maps and schedules.

As a side note if you want something other than beer, go down to Whiskey in downtown durham, they have all sorts of delicous brown liquors (whiskey, bourbon, and scotch).

Just be careful in downtown Durham. Not the safest of places unfortunately.

M_C

I'm not sure when the last time was when you made it up to durham, but if it has been awhile downtown durham has really turned around. The main parts of downtown durham are fine. I think it is just like any downtown area, there are good parts and bad parts...it is pretty obvious when you get to a bad part. There is no real reason for you to end up being there anyways.

This is where I will be staying:

1800 Southpoint Crossing Drive | Durham, North Carolina 27713

I am told it is the oakwood apartments across from a mall or something.

My transportation will be limited as I will not have a car down there so is there anything close to there? Or is there a bus that I could take to meet up with people somewhere?

Damn, man... you're out here nearly two months with no car?

You're staying about 5 minutes from where I work, so I'm sure I could swing by and drag you someplace a few times while you are here. Though, I will add that I am out of town the 1st week of both July and August.

Oh.. and for sure there will be some sort of GRABASS event while you are here. We've got big plans for the summer... building a pirate ship and stuff.

I will be commuting with my roommate to work for the two months but I don't expect him to cart me around all the time when I want to go somewhere.

I am training at fidelity, where do you work walker?

I work for one of the big 2 computer graphics hardware companies. Out little satellite office is on Meridian Parkway... just an exit or so away from where you are staying.

In Durham the places are fullsteam and Bull City burgers for brew pubs. Haven't been to fullsteam yet, but Bull City burgers is the place we go before DPAC show. Good beer, burgers/dogs and outstanding service. Stop by Sam's Quick Shop on 9th street for all the beer style’s there is.

I want to like Fullsteam so bad. Oct visited the brewery, tried probably 6 of their beers, and haven't really been excited about any of them. I really like their concept and their.commitment to NC, but I'm worried they put the cart before the horse with their beers...

Fullsteam has an excellent farmhouse Basil on tap this summer :)

There's a bar/restaurant called city beverage that's about a mile from you that has good food and a decent beer selection.

I also live and work in Durham within a 1/4 mile of the soithpoint mall.

It is Seeing Double. The standard IPA is Hoppyum. It's not advertised anywhere but the bartenders will mix them for a 1.5 IPA. I've also had a Cascadian black imposter by mixing one of the IPAs with either the stout or porter. Of their 5-6 regular bartenders 4 of them know me and what I want.

Welcome to nc. Here are some local spots you will want to try:

Big Boss- brewery and bar Raleigh nc

Aviator- brewery, tap house, smoke house (great burgers) try the big smash fuquay varina.

Carolina brewing company- brewery. Free tours at 1 pm every saturday. Holly springs

Tasty Beverage Co.- bottle shop. Raleigh nc (best selection in town)

Tylers tap room- resturaunt bar and tap room. Durham Raleigh and carboro.

Flying saucer- bar and resturant Raleigh. Lots of beers but just a chain.

American brewmasters bar and grill- get the pint of bacon Raleigh nc

Bull city burger and beer - decent beer. Ok burgers. Durham

Latest posts

Back