Thermapen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcaple1

Reaction score
Just purchased the new Thermoworks Thermapen from this link. Ended up costing me roughly $95 shipped. I know that sounds like a lot, but thanks to the HBT forums, my arm was twisted and I bit the bullet. :drunk: Heard a lot of great things about this digital thermometer...to include super fast 3 second readings within .7 deg F. :rockin:

Well, I guess that's it. Hopefully this will spark some more comments/debate over this product. :ban:

Cheers! :mug:

It also works great for grilling or any cooking . You can also stick in the ground and get soil temperatures. Does a great job for air temperatures. I have no debate, I've had mine for years and would buy another in a heartbeat if it were to stop working.

I love my thermapen. I use it to double check my mash and sparge water temperatures on my brewstand, just in the case the thermocouples aren't reading correctly.

Worth every penny! I have been using them for years cooking BBQ and brewing.

the iphone uses resistance on a few of its connector pins to determine volume settings, next/previous track buttons, etc when its plugged into external controls, so the resistance-sense circuitry is alreay there in the hardware, you would just need to write a program to utilize it.

just in the case the thermocouples aren't reading correctly.

you mean the other thermocouples, as this is just another k type thermocouple...

its great that its NIST certified and all, but i can buy a half dozen PT100 RTD probes for the price of one of these things. is there anything someone hasnt mentioned that makes these especially magical?

its great that its NIST certified and all, but i can buy a half dozen PT100 RTD probes for the price of one of these things. is there anything someone hasnt mentioned that makes these especially magical?

Why, yes. It is especially good at attracting people to threads who do nothing but complain about how it's just a simple thermocouple that they could assemble themselves for less than half the cost.

no need to be a dickhead about it. it was just a question. you are free not to respond if you choose not to; it was not directed at you personally.

Yellow is the fastest. :D

Regarding the "what's so special about it" question, it's just really good all around in terms of performance and build quality. Some things carry a premium price, yet when you look at all the specs on paper, you are left wondering why anyone would pay the premium price that they do. However, when you find that many of the people who ARE paying that premium are people who have tried many alternatives, you start to get the idea that the product is greater than the sum of it's parts (or individual specs) which I believe is the case with the Thermapen.

no need to be a dickhead about it. it was just a question. you are free not to respond if you choose not to; it was not directed at you personally.

You blasphemed! What did you expect? There are some things that are simply above reproach. This is one of them. Have some respect!:D

I got the yellow one. One of the best pieces of brewing equipment I have. Also don't have to guess now when doing stuff like chicken on the grill.

I was just responding in kind. I am sick and tired of seeing threads where someone buys some kind of equipment, and some know-it-all chimes in with "What a rip off! I can build it myself for a fraction of that cost!".

No matter what it is you can almost always make a facsimile of a product for yourself cheaper.

When you buy something that is already manufactured, you are paying for the convenience of NOT having to invest the time and effort to build it yourself, for quality standards that are probably higher than what you can muster at home in your spare time, and for ergonomic design. Oh and the fact that you can have it in two days instead of waiting for parts, etc. So the "magic" is that some people just don't want to make their own damn high-quality thermometers.

audger said:
the iphone uses resistance on a few of its connector pins to determine volume settings, next/previous track buttons, etc when its plugged into external controls, so the resistance-sense circuitry is alreay there in the hardware, you would just need to write a program to utilize it.

you mean the other thermocouples, as this is just another k type thermocouple...

I would love a thermapen, but the cost is prohibitive since I want to get into kegging as well. Could you please post how to make/buy a cheap thermapen alternative? I was recommended some thermocouple with a separate, submergible probe on another forum, but it would be $90 for that too.

When I originally looked for a thermometer, I found thermapen ... I thought, what kind of fool would pay $95 for a thermometer !!! I have since broken 3 $25 thermometers, 2 $15 thermometers and the $10 glass one probably ain't far behind ... Plus shipping & gas... Who's the fool now ? Should have just bought the thermapen !

Why, yes. It is especially good at attracting people to threads who do nothing but complain about how it's just a simple thermocouple that they could assemble themselves for less than half the cost.

Yep. This. I was reading a thread on the Speidel Braumeister, and someone chimes in with "That's just a glorified coffee urn! I could make that for $50!" Well, do it and get rich then, Edison.

I love my Thermapen, use it extensively, not only for brewing but also cooking & baking. I think it's worth every penny and then some.

Only question I have before I take the nestea plunge and buy one is, how accurate is it with a 15 gallon pot that is at least 2 feet deep?

I know that temps vary throughout the pot but can you just stick it in the middle at the top of the pot and still get an accurate reading? And what about the mash tun?

Just curious if this is what I need before I throw a hundred bones down the old sinkhole

I love my thermapen. Its easy, quick, and accurate. I managed to get mine for £44, not sure what that makes in USD but I thought it was a bargain. I only bought it from recommendation on this site, and I have no been disappointed.

I have a deep mash tun, but when I stir it up to bring the temp down to mashing temp, i move the probe around all the mash tun, with the probe as far in as I dare, and continue to stir until every place I decide to stick the probe in reads the same, so im relatively happy that its the same temperature throughout.

Onlt problem is mines become 'sticky', the slot where the probe spins out and in is sticky, but thats completely my fault for splashing it with wort.

I have had mine for a week, and it's been epic. I found out my wife has been cooking out chicken to nearly 190F. No wonder it's dry and crappy. We pull it out of the oven and guess if it's done, by cutting it (I'm no gordon ramsey). Now we take the chicken out, apply the thermapen for no more than 3 seconds and we know it's done.

Ohh, it works well for brewing too. No more mashing in, stir, and waiting and waiting for the dial thermometer to stop rising. You just apply it, BAM, 155F or whatever.

BEWARE of the thermapen! My normal method of cleaning off the end after checking the mash is licking it:eek:. Yesterday I ran the end through the corner of my lip, that sucker is sharp! Besides that, it's all world awesome.

_

I use the Thermapen, and love it. I also use a dial thermometer with a foot-long probe that's now relegated to measuring chilling. IT doesn't make any difference where the probe is in the volume of mash, wort or etc. to be measured. Thermometers aside, what matters is that that volume be mixed thoroughly enough to get a reading that will be representative of the whole.

Awesome.

I guess $100 is the best I've been able to find for it. But it is what it is and it sounds like it's the best thing since wonderbread.

I think I'm sold

Just got one of the splash-proof models today. I'm really looking forward to using it for brewing, cooking, grilling, and all other things food and drink related. I went ahead and got the silicone boot for it as well in case I drop it, as well as extra protection from heat. I may glue a couple of small neodymium magnets onto the back of the sleeve and keep it stored on the refrigerator, within easy reach.

I just got the Thermapen, its really nice.
It reads very very fast, very nice when measuring mash temperatures in different spots.

Plus, its great with meat, rated up to 575F

I am a professional chef....buy a thermapen, its like a ferrari vs a ford ....that is the difference. Beer is a food, thermepen is the best thermometer you can buy

My concern here is breakability. What happens if the thermapen gets dropped on the ground and maybe even trod on or worse, dropped in the boil pot?

Accidents can happen to anything. It's equally likely you'll wreck your Ferrari or your Ford. My decision to go with Thermapen was based on accuracy, speed with which it registers that temperature, and the experiences of homebrewers I read about on this forum and others (not just brewing). Thermapen's been around a while, and has the weight of reputation on its side, IMHO. As much time and effort as I put into brewing, I'm not buying a questionable thermometer.

Yup, I got one of the open box sale Thermapens too, and I have been very happy with it.

For the money though, it's pretty hard to beat this one.

Besides brewing, I also cook BBQ for groups and an occasional competition. I'll often get up during the night to use my Thermapen to probe meat and test for doneness. Thermoworks makes a night glo rubber glove for the Thermapen to help you find it in the dark AND to keep it safe if you drop it accidentally. I really don't know many professional pit masters or caterers who don't use Thermapens. I consider them the industry standard.

Back