At what point did you brew the same beer twice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Bob

Reaction score
I have now brewed 4 batches: an APA, a Scottish Ale, an oatmeal stout, and now I have a blond ale in the fermenter.

The next beers I will be making are a Texas bock, a vanilla porter, and a Bavarian hefeweizen.

And even though all the beers I have made so far have been outstanding and I would love to drink all of them again, I have no plans in the near future of rebrewing them. There are just so many freaking styles out there. I feel this need to brew them all before settling down on a few favorites.

How long did it take you to start brewing your favorite ones again and again? Or have you EVER brewed the same beer twice?

I went through the same thing. I wanted to go through every style. At some point, a year or so into brewing, I finally decided that it was going to be a long attempt. New styles keep popping up, and there's certain things you don't want to drink at certain times of the year. For instance...I may have time to brew a wheat beer in december, but I won't, because it won't get drank. '

I'm at the point now where I have a few recipes I brew a lot (always have one house favorite on tap) but I work them into a double brewday. So I'm always brewing something new.

1st batch: extract porter
2nd batch: all grain fat tire
3rd batch: all grain fat tire (not as good as first batch)

I'm the opposite. I keep making the same style until make it perfect. Every batch has been good, some very good, but none excellent so far. I'll keep trying until it get it nailed.

I'm pretty stuck on IPA's so I brew the same beer quite often. always trying to improve prior batches with small adjustments

I rebrewed my 11th beer (a Basil IPA) for batch #20. I've since brewed it at least once a year.

At some point, I'll rebrew my 4th beer, which was a gigantic RIS fermented with belgian yeast and aged on oak that gets better every time I open a bottle.

The first year and a half or so was the "brew each style at least once" period. After a while, I figured out there's quite a few categories of beers that felt like chores to drink, and others that just vanished before I was ready for them to be gone. Thats how I knew which brews to brew twice.

I"ve done about 10 batches and have made a hef three times. They were slight variations on the recipe to see the differences. This worked out well - it is a very easy drinking beer that can be varied in many ways. Last time I added a few pounds of munich malt and it was like drinking a different kind of hef.

i started that way too. I like all beer but for the most part don't need 5 gallons of most of them. I have settled into only brewing stuff I know I like and drink the most often. For me its APA, IPA, Alts/Marzen/any malty lager, Hefe, Amber Ales and porter. Maybe 1 stout a year. I plan to do it seasonally. I decided this after about my 6th batch. I'm currently on #15. But honestly i always tweak my recipe so its differnet and allows me to learn diffences in malts/hops/yeast/techniques by only changing 1-2 variables.

generally im all over the place depending on season or what i have drank recently that i would like to clone but i do have a basic IPA that i have dry hopped with citra that i have made a few times now and wouldnt mind having on tap all the time its a good everyday beer

I guess I'm not very adventurous. I started brewing about 6 months ago, made 19 5 gal batches and have only made 3 styles so far, an ESB, a Porter and 3 batches now of a Hefe. I'm going to add new types one at a time and brew them a few times (or more) until they taste the way I want them to. But I like to have the ESB around as an easy drinking session type beer, and the Porter for a dark beer, and the hefe because I seem to know a lot of people who really like hefe.

I just can't decide what to make next. I'm thinking a Pilsner since it's winter and it shouldn't be too hard to maintain temps without an expensive new gadget.

I have a selection repeat beers that I rotate through during the year, I am constantly trying different styles, and sometimes I swap out a "regular" for a newer recipe, I go in phases, so the beers I brew all seem to fall into a certain style for a spell, then I move on to different ones, I am currently in an English ale kick, I have been brewing different milds, ESB's ect. trying to get a feel for the style...

Ed's Pale I have done 3 times this year. I get the best feedback from any on that one and it lasts the shortest..

All but one batch that I've brewed I'd drink again in a heartbeat, but I don't actually know when I'll get around to brewing them again.

18 or so batches in, haven't repeated yet. Got a lager freezer now so I'll continue on with some lagers.

I haven't had any exact recipes i plan to repeat yet, especially since my technique gets better each time and I'm learning what ingredients make my palette happy.

I'd like to have a "house ale" developed in the next few years though that I and my guests can depend on.

Actually, I have the opposite issue. My first all grain was Wayne's Blue Moon Clone. Man...ALL of my family & friends rave about this - and I have another batch in the fermenter ready to bottle on Wednesday.

My second all grain was my attempt at an Erdinger Weissbier clone. I'm drinking up my first batch and this is another one that my family & friends went ape over. I have another batch in the fermenter and it'll be bottled next Saturday.

These two brews are so tasty, I'm not wanting to dip my toe into anything different right now.

When a keg kicks quick, I know its time for a re-brew! I just finished an AAA that was sublime and I hope to make this exact beer again. It will be my first re-brew with the same numbers, a true test of my note taking abilities :)

My first two batches were the same brew. I came up with my own recipe for my first beer and after brewing it, I made some minor adjustments, brewed it again, called it perfect and moved on to something else.

I may take another stab at an India Brown Ale, that one was pretty good. Also planning to come back around at my first recipe, the "Pale Ale from the Vale" (we have an ongoing joke at my house where we name original recipes after characters and places from G.R.R. Martin's "Game of Thrones" series, some of them are pretty funny) but I think I'll make an all-grain version this time around.

I am coming around on my one-year brewing anniversary and have not repeated many recipes, though. The one that keeps getting "brewed" (although it's not really brewed) is Apfelwein, but there are just so many different varieties and variables in beer, it is really wide-open. You can work off a clone recipe, or buy a kit, or roll the dice and slap something together with what you have on hand, or whatever is on sale at the LHBS (I try to keep an eye out for hop sales over at Midwest; may as well save a few bucks if I can).

My first brew was a Brown Ale kit from grape and granary. I'll never forget the first one, so I had some fun with it. When I was ready to move to Partial Mash, I made a Brown Ale (Squirrel Nut Brown - it was fall). Fast forward a few batches to all grain, and I made a Brown Ale (flyangler18's March Brown Mild -nice and easy). It was nice to have similar brews for the different processes, and being able to taste the differences in preparation.

I have since remade the popular beers for the crowd, but am still trying new recipes to dial in my tastes and my system.

Back