White Labs yeast temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyd

Reaction score
I just brewed a Kolsch using White Labs German Ale/Kolsch yeast, and a Pilsner using White Labs Budejovice yeast. I've got them both in the kegerator @ 55*F. What is the optimum temperature in which to ferment these beers?

The white labs site says 50 - 55*F for Budejovice, and 62 - 69*F for German Ale/Kolsch (unless fermentation has started). Does this mean that I should keep the Kolsch out of the kegerator until a krausen forms?

My understanding is that you can lower the temp when the fermentation is well underway. Like you said, when the krausen forms. I would do what the first reviewer on the white labs page for that yeast strain did, ferment at 62 and then lager at 48-50.

I can't ferment at less than 69 (temp of my house), because I'm fermenting a czech pilsner in the kegerator @ 55*F. Any other ideas?

I just brewed a Kolsch using White Labs German Ale/Kolsch yeast, and a Pilsner using White Labs Budejovice yeast. I've got them both in the kegerator @ 55*F. What is the optimum temperature in which to ferment these beers?

The white labs site says 50 - 55*F for Budejovice, and 62 - 69*F for German Ale/Kolsch (unless fermentation has started). Does this mean that I should keep the Kolsch out of the kegerator until a krausen forms?

I don't understand your confusion. White Labs clearly states that the Optimum Fermentation Temperature for the WLP029 is between 65 and 69F and for WLP802 is between 50 and 55F. What is unclear about that?

You can try putting the carboy in water with a tshirt draped over it and a fan on it. That will lower the temp, but not too low. I have not personally done this, but have seen it suggested on here a lot. It has to work. Remember that while the air temp may be 69, the temp in the carboy is a few degrees higher, so you might want to shoot for closer to 62 so the temp in the carboy is more like 67.

I don't understand your confusion. White Labs clearly states that the Optimum Fermentation Temperature for the WLP029 is between 65 and 69F and for WLP802 is between 50 and 55F. What is unclear about that?

Actually - I have been brewing for a long time and it is not clear to me either. Is the temperature listed the AMBIENT temperature or the actual internal temperature of the fermenting wort. There can be an 8 degree difference (warmer in the fermenter).

Do you start out at a colder ambient temperature and allow the yeast to raise the internal temp or do you start out at the temperature and reduce it as the temperature in the fermenter raises?

Hardly a simple question.

There is no confusion in the optimum fermentation temperature. The question was whether I should start the ferment @ 69*F, and move it to the kegerater after it starts to show activity. Or, If I should just ferment it the whole way @ 55*F

Well it says "Does not ferment well less than 62°F, unless during active fermentation." I think it would be smart to let it get started @ 69 and then drop it down. Otherwise you could risk a stuck fermenter. Just do a really good diacetyl rest afterward.

Well it says "Does not ferment well less than 62°F, unless during active fermentation." I think it would be smart to let it get started @ 69 and then drop it down. Otherwise you could risk a stuck fermenter. Just do a really good diacetyl rest afterward.

What is a diacetyl rest?

So if you start a lager warm, you always want to do a diacetyl rest. This just means that when the fermentation looks complete (or reads close to complete), you raise the temperature to 10 degrees higher than what it was and leave it for two to three days. This allows the yeast to eat up the diacetyl they produced in the beginning. Otherwise your beer may have a smooth, butter taste.

Actually - I have been brewing for a long time and it is not clear to me either. Is the temperature listed the AMBIENT temperature or the actual internal temperature of the fermenting wort. There can be an 8 degree difference (warmer in the fermenter).

Temp of wort.
Flying Dog - for one - has their glycol system set to 62F (I asked during a tour).

Do you start out at a colder ambient temperature and allow the yeast to raise the internal temp or do you start out at the temperature and reduce it as the temperature in the fermenter raises?

Hardly a simple question.

As Hang Glider stated as well. It is the temperature of fermentation. Fermentation does not happen within the ambient temperature of the fermentation chamber itself. It happens within the fermenting wort, which is in the fermentation chamber. I never stated that it was a simple question. Only that the information from White Labs regarding "Optimum Fermentation Temperature" is clearly stated.

This is actually something that is important for beginners and experienced brewers to understand. Fermentation temperature is typically higher than the ambient temperature of the fermentation chamber because fermentation is an exothermic process (meaning it produces, or gives off, heat). If a brewer wants to know the temperature of fermentation at any given point during the fermentation process, the best place to take a temperature reading is within the fermenting wort itself.

There is no confusion in the optimum fermentation temperature. The question was whether I should start the ferment @ 69*F, and move it to the kegerater after it starts to show activity. Or, If I should just ferment it the whole way @ 55*F

You should lower the ambient temperature of your fermentation chamber below the high point of the optimal fermentation temp range because, in theory, fermentation temp will always be higher than the ambient of the chamber during active fermentation. The best way to know is to take temp readings of the fermenting wort during the fermentation process. Do this periodically and maintain the temp of the fermenting wort within the stated range of the yeast's optimum fermentation temp listing.

Back