What do i do to make beer lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaoTseTung

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new at this and do not know what i need, what ingredients i need or hardware.

I want to make some beer or cider.

what equipment and ingredients will i need and how do i make it?

btw i have no money so cheap as possible will be best :)

Thanks everyone.

and whoever made this forum is awesome.

+1 How To Brew is one of the best resources around, give it a read through and then come back with some questions.

Since you mentioned that cost was a major concern here is a link for you.

Article

I certainly don't advocate these techniques and honestly thought the article was posted in jest but I have a friend who took it seriously and followed the instructions. The final result wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Personaly I would seek out your LHBS and ask them. You can pick up a bucket, lid and airlock for around $15. Six pounds of extract, a few ounces of hops and yeast will be around $30. So for about $20 more you can have legit equipment and much better ingredients.

Good Luck and Happy Brewing!

You can also pick up a hard copy of the newer edition of How to Brew. It will be a little more up to date. However, the online copy is not a bad place to start.

Also, BierMuncher, you are NO fun!!! ;)

lol yeah

On topic: I'd recommend Mr Beer if you really want to go cheap for your first try.

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?q=mr+beer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a[/ame]

How To Brew is indeed a great place to start. I'd also recommend looking for a local homebrew shop in your area, or go to one of the large online suppliers and order an extract kit to get you started. It will have pretty much everything you need except a boiling pot, a bucket or carboy to ferment in, and some bottles.

I too would look for a Mr.Beer Kit...for $30 its the cheapest way to get your feet wet, but the beer you make isn't top notch (if you follow their instructions...there are variations that make better beer).

just be sure to keep things clean, and then sanitized. Also be aware its like any hobby...not 'cheap' to get started in, but over time you'll definitely save money vs buying commercial craft brew.

I am only one month new to this forum, can someone tell me why so many posts are deleted? It is a bit annoying to follow a thread and find dozens of deleted posts pop up. Sorry if this is off topic.

I am only one month new to this forum, can someone tell me why so many posts are deleted? It is a bit annoying to follow a thread and find dozens of deleted posts pop up. Sorry if this is off topic.

They were being very bad

A drubbing

Because they were unnecessarily berating to the new member based on his Handle, etc... ...BierMuncher did a good job at cleaning all of it up/babysitting.

Because they were unnecessarily berating to the new member based on his Handle, etc... ...BierMuncher did a good job at cleaning all of it up/babysitting.

BING!! It was an honest beer related question that got an unrelated storm started, I am relieved it was brought under control fast, it is odd to see the thread after it after it was sanitized tho. on a plus note, I just ordered a copy of the 3rd edition Palmer book for my apprentice brewer to read. :ban:

BING!! It was an honest beer related question that got an unrelated storm started, I am relieved it was brought under control fast, it is odd to see the thread after it after it was sanitized tho. on a plus note, I just ordered a copy of the 3rd edition Palmer book for my apprentice brewer to read. :ban:

Funny.

Related/Unrelated, I just ordered the latest edition of The Little Red Book!

ZING!!

If you want to start out easy/cheap, start with some apple cider. Just get some preservative free apple juice, a sealable bucket (if you're in America I've seen jugs being used), sugar, air lock and some yeast. Go have a look in the Cider forum on this site to get some idea of what you need to do!

I didnt see the posts that were deleted but I am sure the Mods had a good reason to remove them. People on this forum help newbs all day, all the time and have no problems doing it. What some people dont like is when a newbie is lazy and doesnt use the search function and asks for simple stuff. When I was a newb I spent hours upon hours reading different sections of the forum. After almost 2 years I still read stuff to gain more knowledge.

You are the only one that can learn the stuff you want to know. People will help you if you have legit questions but asking for simple stuff without research just shows that you are lazy.

My advice is dont use Mr Beer or Beer Machine. Save up some money and buy a starter kit from a respectable online vendor (or LHBS if you have one - search the term on the forum to know what it means). Some online vendors would give you a free "How to brew" DVD with a purchase and it can help you get started.

Nope, SOME of them were berating and then some people ran with the idea and started having a good time with it, doesn't mean they weren't :off:, but not everyone was berating the OP.

Note: This however doesn't mean BierMuncher wasn't totally within his rights to clean up the thread and get it back on topic.

I'm just kind of confused as to why you ended your post with "lol". Thats not really a "laughing out loud moment". That, combined with not wanting to spend any money kind of screams underage to me...

Anyways, I think there is some pretty good advice in the thread so far. You really won't be able to make good beer without some initial investment. The most basic of starter kits (like this one) are in the $70-$80 range. Keep in mind you will still need a pot that will hold at least 3 gallons to boil in, and a bunch of bottles. You will also need an extract kit, which ranges from $20-30 and up, depending on the kit.

Ciders are a little easier, but to do it right, you still need some equipment. That beer kit I linked to will work, but it wouldnt hurt to have a glass carboy on hand too. You can make a decent basic cider with store juice. Just make sure the only ingredients are apple juice, or juice from concentrate and abscorbic or citric acid. Any other preservatives will inhibit fermentation. I'd also recommend going to a homebrew store and picking up some basic ale yeast. They seem to work the best with store juices to make a more flavorful cider.

Hope this helps.

If you want to start out easy/cheap, start with some apple cider. Just get some preservative free apple juice, a sealable bucket (if you're in America I've seen jugs being used), sugar, air lock and some yeast. Go have a look in the Cider forum on this site to get some idea of what you need to do!

yes i must agree search up edworts apfelwein. its simple, pretty cheap if you can get 100% apple juice on sale, itll give you a basic knowledge of equipment and fermentation and the final product is pretty good and will get a good buzz going.

yes i must agree search up edworts apfelwein. its simple, pretty cheap if you can get 100% apple juice on sale, itll give you a basic knowledge of equipment and fermentation and the final product is pretty good and will get a good buzz going.

apfelwein is not the kind of first recipe to go with as it takes quite a while to start tasting great. consider brandon o's graff instead. it's a good cider, but still has some of the beermaking methods included.

Also, try and find a brewbuddy near you with a little experience. you can check out thier setup, try some of what they have brewed, and get a real feel for the hobby before you go and invest any money in it.

:off: the previous threads were deleted because they were too awsome for newbies to view. if you weren't here when it went down, you just don't get to know what happened.

Fact is, regardless of the OP's true age, he put a legal age in the profile and that's what you have to go by. He started out with a legitimate question and was insulted.

That's not the usual course of action here.

There are ways of ignoring those who offend you.

Fact is, regardless of the OP's true age, he put a legal age in the profile and that's what you have to go by. He started out with a legitimate question and was insulted.

That's not the usual course of action here.

There are ways of ignoring those who offend you.

That is true. Looks like it turned into a linch mob. I did not see the posts. I have been away from here for a year (kids etc) but I did not expect to see that. Lift your game people.

Off topic posts are not allowed in the "technical" forum, and are generally removed. I'll leave those in here, because someone was asking a question about why stuff is sometimes deleted. We often clear up "chatter" when someone is asking a beer question, and encourage off-topic chatter to be placed in the General Chit-Chat area.

Posts with personal attacks, namecalling, political remarks, religion, etc are always removed.

Off topic posts are not allowed in the "technical" forum, and are generally removed. I'll leave those in here, because someone was asking a question about why stuff is sometimes deleted. We often clear up "chatter" when someone is asking a beer question, and encourage off-topic chatter to be placed in the General Chit-Chat area.

Posts with personal attacks, namecalling, political remarks, religion, etc are always removed.

Thank you for clarifying Yooper and exactly to the point. Mine was one of several posts deleted it was absolutely off topic, but I take some offense to everyone stating that ALL the posts were deleted because it was a lynch mob. If that was the case, then I REALLY don't understand that phrase.

To keep this on topic and assuming the OP, who has yet to return, is serious about his brewing endeavors someone suggested trying graff and I think that's a good suggestion. It is a very easy recipe that wouldn't require a lot of specialized equipment. If you find you like the process, it's easy to expand from there. If you ARE serious, then welcome to the wonderful, sometimes magical, world of beer! :mug:

To keep this on topic and assuming the OP, who has yet to return, is serious about his brewing endeavors someone suggested trying graff and I think that's a good suggestion.

Out of curiosity, after posting and asking for help and getting a response like he did, would you come back? Honestly?

Out of curiosity, after posting and asking for help and getting a response like he did, would you come back? Honestly?

No. He is not coming back.

I feel he was probably underage and likely a nuisance, but there was nothing but this avatar and name to indicate that. If I got flamed as bad as he did I would say screw you guys and head off to BN where they appreciate that look more.

It was absolutely a two way thing the OP was part of the offending discussion as well and really seemed to have NO problem standing up for his position. The initial attack was off topic, but everyone is acting like this was the return of TTB looking to kill homosexuals.

No. He is not coming back.

I feel he was probably underage and likely a nuisance, but there was nothing but this avatar and name to indicate that. If I got flamed as bad as he did I would say screw you guys and head off to BN where they appreciate that look more.

I also believe he was underage and possibly was interested in just causing a problem. Anyway, if he's here for legitimate purposes I certainly welcome him as a fellow brewer. I'm not really sure why I'm responding to this. My one deleted post contained one word. I'm just making it clear that, just because posts were deleted, that didn't mean they were all necessarily attacking the OP. There were attacks and a lot of :off: stuff generated out of that.

Back