Rum as a sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I've got a pumpkin ale that I'll be racking to a secondary soon and I plan on adding some cinnamon sticks to it. I know vodka is a good sanitizer, but how is rum? I figure that flavor will blend well with the beer and I could soak it a bit longer. Thanks.

same proof if i recall. if your worried go with sailor jerry...thats deffinitly over the abv of vodka

How much sanitizing do you want to do? Doubtful that a little dash of rum is going to change 5 gallons of beer. Vodka is usually used because of its neutral (non) flavor.

In my case I would drink the rum and throw the cinnamon sticks away - but that is just me.

lol, no I was just going to soak them for a few hours, maybe over night. Prob not necessary but couldn't hurt (in terms of flavor).

any time I've used spices, I always boiled/steeped them and they went into primary.

adding to secondary, if you want a rum taste, soak in rum.

otherwise i'd steep em in vodka for the neutral flavor.

or steep in boiling water and add to secondary vessel and then rack the ale on top to mix.

The FDA recommends 60 - 95% alcohol solutions so stick with 151.

Back